Selecting an eSim for data only

Does anyone have experience with one carrier vs. another (Claro vs. Mint vs....)

I've used all three and Personal is the least bad. I have issues during the handoff between 5G, LTE, and HSPA sometimes, but that's it, and in their defense, I'm using a phone made for US bands, not Argentine ones.

Is there any carrier to avoid

Movistar and the local MVNOs

Preferably I would like to prepay before I travel (USA), pero, if it is simpler to purchase at a brick and mortar, i can do that

As of this July, you still had to go in to a brick and mortar store to get an eSIM, so I ordered my friends/family members' physical SIMs
before they came and activated them for them so they were good to go. I believe Personal was looking to target tourists with an eSIM offering
at Ezeiza, but I'm not sure if that's up and running yet.

Any miscellaneous red flags to be aware of

You're best getting an Argentine SIM or eSIM instead of a travel SIM offering like Airalo because the cost is nothing for data here, and if you
plan on visiting other countries in the region you can even get a roaming offering that will be cheaper too.

earlier today i went to the Claro store to get an eSim, and was asked for my passport (which i expected), and also a (grey?) card. I was told that without BOTH i could not get an eSim card...
- does this make sense ?
- what is this 'grey' card ?
- how to i get one (I am going to be in BA for the next 6 weeks only) -or- is there a work-around ?

to put everything in perspective, I find that i need to do a good amount of surfing (even if only to find directions) while I am on the street AND just as much surfing in the cafes / parks / street corners to figure out where i am going. Sometimes I have a connection (using whatever my Apple iPhone used in the States - my carrier is Spectrum Mobile), and then (more often than not...) NOTHING. Even with 4 bars of service and a full WiFi signal (or at least that is what the icons on the phone tell me) i can do NOTHING, my connection lags like molasses in the cold-cold winter and then nothing. AUGH, can i say frustrated !?

earlier today i went to the Claro store to get an eSim, and was asked for my passport (which i expected), and also a (grey?) card. I was told that without BOTH i could not get an eSim card...
- does this make sense ?
- how to i get one (I am going to be in BA for the next 6 weeks only) -or- is there a work-around ?

to put everything in perspective, I find that i need to do a good amount of surfing (even if only to find directions) while I am on the street AND just as much surfing in the cafes / parks / street corners to figure out where i am going. Sometimes I have a connection (using whatever my Apple iPhone used in the States - my carrier is Spectrum Mobile), and then (more often than not...) NOTHING. Even with 4 bars of service and a full WiFi signal (or at least that is what the icons on the phone tell me) i can do NOTHING, my connection lags like molasses in the cold-cold winter and then nothing. AUGH, can i say frustrated !?
I did the same at Claro last week and my coverage has been swell. I’m just glad that this time I wasn’t forced into buying an SD card I had no use for to get a tourist sim. Have you tried switching your phone off and on again or mobile data off and on? My coverage has been much better than WiFi and I’ve often had to hotspot to work as it’s far superior to my wifi

You have WiFi on the street? It’s probably TeleCentro or some other service you can’t use, so forget all those networks in your iPhone. Just use 4/5G outside.

- does this make sense ?

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as a 'grey card.' Try visiting a major branch, like the one on Corrientes 1720, for example.

Technically, you should be able to purchase a SIM card at a kiosko and activate it online by sending a picture of your passport and a selfie. However, it might be easier to ask them to do it at their office.

I am visiting from USA and have an Airalo esim. I got the global esim and not the Latin America region esim. I traveled all over South America on this trip. There is no Argentina only esim and global was much cheaper than Latin America esim for some reason?!?! I wouldn’t say it was great service….half the time it is only 3G and then my Google maps won’t work nor my Google translate! Two huge reasons to use a sim. I have to reload soon…..not sure what to do to get better service.

I am visiting from USA and have an Airalo esim. I got the global esim and not the Latin America region esim. I traveled all over South America on this trip. There is no Argentina only esim and global was much cheaper than Latin America esim for some reason?!?! I wouldn’t say it was great service….half the time it is only 3G and then my Google maps won’t work nor my Google translate! Two huge reasons to use a sim. I have to reload soon…..not sure what to do to get better service.
There are many countries I’ve been to where Airalo has been miles and above the best option but sadly Argentina isn’t one of them. I echo Lunar’s comment to hit up a major Claro store with your passport. Think that’s the one I went to last week too. Quick, easy and good value

There are many countries I’ve been to where Airalo has been miles and above the best option but sadly Argentina isn’t one of them. I echo Lunar’s comment to hit up a major Claro store with your passport. Think that’s the one I went to last week too. Quick, easy and good value
Oh and they require credit card payment too - I learned that the hard way a couple months back!

Ah, this is what 'grey card' is. A credit card.
That’s almost certainly what it is. I was in a rush and did try to pay with cash but it was certainly not an option. I don’t think even a debit card was allowed - it had to be credit

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Expat Life 12
S Expat Life 0
Back