4, Tango, Tango, and Tango
5, Architecture and Parks

Negatives
1, Noise
2, Dog Poop
3, Social Challenges associates with begin a Yankee
4, High "crime of opportunity" rate
5, minor governmental and financial paperwork BS

Such a weak list of Pros and Cons would not produce a single expat. There is certainly more at work here ...

Napoleon said:
I can draw you a map of the three putarias* within one block of my apartment if you'd like. Just let me know.

And when I say that I have one "across the street", I really mean ACROSS THE STREET!! If you change the last digit of my address from a "1" to a "0", you can ring the doorbell, go up one flight of stairs, and be naked in about 1 or 2 I guess... as long as you have the required fee. (They may be running "A promocion!")

*They don't really "make" putas at these places or even "sell" them. But you can definitely "try them on for size" and spend money at these places, so I added the "-rias".

They are called " puterios " not puterias, and are also called privados ;)

rivardco said:
And what we have so far?

GOOD POINTS:
1, Vaguely cheaper than US
2, Exciting - lots of things to do.
3, Some say people are a plus. Some say people are a negative
4, Tango, Tango, and Tango
5, Architecture and Parks

Negatives
1, Noise
2, Dog Poop
3, Social Challenges associates with begin a Yankee
4, High "crime of opportunity" rate
5, minor governmental and financial paperwork BS

Such a weak list of Pros and Cons would not produce a single expat. There is certainly more at work here ...

I am not an expat but am married to one. I would add to your list the fact that there is a middle class to your pros. the variety of cultural activities such as museums, libraries, free shows organized by the city, exhibitions, concerts. You can also take classes ( dance, yoga, languages, sports, cooking, etc ). The majority of the people in the city are literate. people are friendly and outgoing but generally you need to be able to speak the language in order to interact with locals effectively. Private Health insurance is cheap ( compared to US ) and policies cover everything ( no copays ) you also have Public Hospitals - not fancy at all but doctors are very good in general. Internet access is widely available as well as cable TV and phone. The city water is of good quality. Public transportation is very cheap. Fresh produce is cheap. Cultural diversity ( as a country of immigrants you will find people of mixed origin: Asian, Jewish, Polish, Irish, Italian, Spanish, Middle eastern, Russian, English, etc ). Big variety of restaurants, bars, coffee stores, theaters, hotels. Love hotels for one night stands ( sorry girls but that is what they are for ). People show their emotions ( any kind of emotions: happiness, sadness, nervousness, etc ). Strong family culture ( this can be perceived as a con for some expats ). Gay friendly. Pet friendly. Kid friendly. People are clean ( shower at least once a day ) and care about their looks.

Now for some cons: customer service is mediocre in general, there is inflation, as a foreigner you will be charged tourist prices most of the time at many places, and some people will try to rip you off ( cab drivers, etc ) Most apartments in the city do not have central AC. Bureaucracy when you want to open a bank account, renew visas, etc. Food is not spicy at most restaurants. Smoke and noise. Dog poop. Things are never very stable ( governments, economy, inflation, etc ) Law is not always enforced. Drivers are insane. Credit is very limited ( property is bought in hard cash most of the time )

I am sure I am forgetting things here.

rivardco said:

You are right: we have been deceiving you. But you cannot blame us for were the truth to get out, Argentina would be inundated with expats. No, the secrets of this El Dorado we keep to ourselves. It is a land of enchantment, of dark mysteries, of excitement and adventure, of mysterious women and secret assignations.

Pssst. Wolf. Mi casa está hecha de ladrillo. I will see for myself, no problemo. I doubt we have a fully baked list of CURRENT pros and cons, but if that is your contention, so be it.

This is typical of expats all over the place. Some hate where they are and will leave for some other place as soon as they can work it out, some love where they are and seek to find a way to make a more substantial life there, and some are just passing through -- vagabonds.

In my opinion, expats (here and everywhere) carry with them and are not able to discard their inherent personalities, their ingrained way of seeing things, as if sewn to their skin, or baggage they cannot put down. So reading threads like this, all the threads that purport to describe how terrible a place is or how wonderful a place is, are doing little more than telling the reader a lot about the person writing the comment. The personality of each commenter here sticks out as the most powerful element of each comment. Once you understand and accept that, you can place yourself within the personality category that best suits you, and that is how you are going to find this city, or any city, to be.

So if the haters, the paranoid, the frustrated, the angry, ring a bell with you, I will bet any amount you wish that you are going to find Buenos Aires to be just like they have reported. Conversely, if you find an empathetic feeling when reading positive comments made by people who truly enjoy living in this city, then I'll make the same bet that you are going to enjoy it too. It doesn't matter what city it is.

I have enjoyed living in every city I've lived in, and there are more than a few, and of course there are annoying aspects of life in each, and of course I would like to see some things done differently, and of course I would if king change all sorts of things and force everyone to live the way I prefer. In the main, I try to accept the realities of life in any city, seek out and enjoy what is best about it, and save my whining and moaning for ... well, I actually don't like to engage in whining and moaning. If I was that upset by some place, I would be out of town on the next stagecoach.

Buenos Aires is a fine city to live in for me. If it weren't, I would, as locals always accuse us of being able to do, simply move on. That's why we are expats and vagabonds.

But I do wish all car and bus horns could be disconnected, and that Portenos were a little more embarrassed to have the sidewalks of their beautiful city stinking and littered with the residue of their beloved pets.

Oh, and they could sparkle up their cuisine just a little.

I must say, I am Fricken amazed at how much dog poop there must be!?!?! (Colombia was loud as hell too)

Of course attitude of a person creates the lens through which he perceives.

But, there are some rather significant other points that I have asked upthread ... easy stuff. Would love some more input.

someone is going to have to speak up! Otherwise this thread will have to be re-named: How much puppy poop is in BA?

Can someone please tell me whether or not the flipping girls pick their nose when in conversation!?!?!? Is there any sophisitcation /elegance to the population? Please provide comparisons.

And, what the hell is going on with Peso inflation? Do you feel the dollar buys you more now than 6 months ago?

GRACIAS.

Back