Selling iPhone 4

badgerGuy

Registered
Hello, my fiancé and I are visiting buenos aires for 2 weeks and we have with us two unopened iPhone 4 phones from the USA. What is the best way to sell them while we are here? I've noticed people paying $1100-$1300 on mercadolibre. Is that reliable and do they sell quickly? Is there a better way to sell these?

UPDATE

Both phones are 16GB iPhone 4, running 4.2.1 OS, with a 03.10.01 baseband. These phones are unopened and brand new. You can jailbreak these phones. However, we are planning on returning them if we can't sell them, so the buyer will need to jailbreak the phone. We are willing to accept $880 / phone.

p.s. We also listed them on mercadoLibre, it was not too difficult as long as you know Spanish!

Yes, and while there isn't a "for sale" forum here, you'll probably find takers.

If possible, you might want to open them and get them unlocked first. It's not too much of a process but it will help in selling them since they might as well be bricks right now as they won't work here unless they are unlocked.

And of course, selling on ebay assuming you're in/from the US is probably the easiest option. Since they are from the US and locked for ATT, it's actually more of a hassle for people using them here since they can goto 3 different carrier stores here to buy one that would work.

If you offer them here for a decent price, you'll find buyers (me included)

It is my understanding that if the Iphone4 is not "factory unlocked" the jailbreaking on recent versions is difficult and not without risk at this moment.

badgerGuy said:
Hello, my fiancé and I are visiting buenos aires for 2 weeks and we have with us two unopened iPhone 4 phones from the USA. What is the best way to sell them while we are here? I've noticed people paying $1100-$1300 on mercadolibre. Is that reliable and do they sell quickly? Is there a better way to sell these?

Wouldn't it be safer to take the phones out of their boxes, in order to avoid being hit with any sort of customs tax?

Thanks for the replies everyone. We already have the phones here in Buenos Aires. They are completely unopened. I have an iPhone myself and "unlocking" it is quite easy. I'd be happy to sell one or both on this forum for a price of $1050 each.

I'll be looking into mercadolibre as well

Cheers!

Last iPhone 4 that sold on the forum was a 32 GB and was proposed for 880$
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/12755-sale-iphone4-ipad-3g-nokia-n8-micro-sd-card.html

If yours is a 32 GB and it can be jailbroken (what's the OS & baseband?) I would buy it for 880$ (just drop me a PM if you are interested in the future).

On MercadoLibre, the 16 GB sells for less than 800$ (look at the counter-offers = for 3200 pesos the guy is selling it although it's unclear if it can be JB) :
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...jailbroken-con-jailbreak-sin-unlock-nuevo-_JM

One thing about selling on MercadoLibre - it's not as easy as you may think. A lot of people are hesitant to buy from someone who does not have any rating there. In addition, you'll have to know Spanish well and most people will try and offer a trade or lower price. Not impossible to sell, but not as easy as one would think.

Also, check that that phone can be jailbroken and unlocked (http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com). In addition, AT&T phones require the original SIM card to activate the phone. I sold my iPhone 3GS with the SIM card for this reason...

kre8ivelyXposed said:
It is my understanding that if the Iphone4 is not "factory unlocked" the jailbreaking on recent versions is difficult and not without risk at this moment.

Depends where you buy it. In Canada it's possible to obtain the iPhone 4 factory unlocked via the Apple store. My understanding is that it's not available unlocked in the USA.

Back