Selling on Mercadolibre

Gringoboy

Registered
I've been buying and selling through ML over seven years now and have an excellent reputation with no negatives.
Now when you want to sell, they insist on your address and dni, which I consider to be an infringement of privacy.
The small type insists that all details will remain private.
Yeah right..........
Of course one could always come up with something fictitious, but I would hate to risk losing my account.
Anyone else come across this?

It's normal. If you don't want to use your DNI or real data, be sure to use the same number always in case your account gets hijacked and need to reset your access. Same for address, or DOB.

Gringoboy said:
Anyone else come across this?

i've heard that AFIP wants to start tracking what people buy/sell on ML so that you'll be taxed if you make over a certain amount. this could explain the linking up of your dni to your ML account.

redrum said:
i've heard that AFIP wants to start tracking what people buy/sell on ML so that you'll be taxed if you make over a certain amount. this could explain the linking up of your dni to your ML account.

I think you hit the nail on the head there redrum.

Yes, I was bothered that they asked me for it. I put in my husband's DNI because the account is under his name. He didn't seem too thrilled, but I also didn't want to put a fake number and end up with whatever problem that could cause in the future.

i doubt they might be able to make that happen .
Its common practice among sellers and buyers in mercado libre to circumvent even mercadolibes percentage.
The seller tells the buyer to go ahead and buy, thereby they get the contact info , then the buyer buys but tells mercado libre it wasnt what he was looking for , and places a Neutral qualification on the seller and the seller does the same to the buyer.
Typical argetentine avivada.
I freaked out becasue i lost my account , here is what happened:
I made a million questions to two buyers that were selling older water pumps. They both assured me that all was aok with the unit.
Both were FAR from aok.
I gave then megative qualifications and they did the same . Becasue i was a newcomer, i got bounced and lost my account .
BOTH did the same dance regarding the comission fraud.
Gotta love this place

i read somewhere that there was an agreement not long ago to NOT tax the sales of individuals on mercadolibro

Unlike many here i take mercado libre for what it is.... a way to buy and sell period...your experience totally depends on the person u buy from...I have had mostly very good experience with mercado libre just like ebay but in the both have had bad situations also. be aware that in mercado libre your recourse is effectively zero after purchase so ask all the questions you want and try and not buy strange things this way but dont blame the system when it is the individual responsible...an honorable vendor will protect his reputation and they are almost all 100 pct good...those that are not close to 100 pct good rating dont buy from..THINK if someone else had a problem you probably will too. if nobody does and you do than perhaps the issue is you..or what u you were trying to get....remember if it is way to cheap it probably is not what you thought it would be,,,good luck and as far the dni their systems are still so messed up that their chance of integrating with mercado libre in the near future are probably 0 and slim

They should ask for your DNI. I was cheated out of $800 US dollars by a buyer two years ago. I complained to Mercadolibre and because the user had changed his cell phone number and used a false name, Mercadolibre couldn't track him down and I couldn't complain to the police since I had no idea who the buyer really was. It turned out that this buyer was part of a mafia that opens up a new account everyday and cheats sellers. They said they were conducting and investigation and as a result of other similar incidents they started requiring and id to open an account. Doesn't Ebay require at least a credit card number or some kind of documentation?

Back