September Flights

Hard analysis from IATA: "We are concerned that Argentina will become another Venezuela"

In an aviation context, the risk is real about sliding into another Venezuela-esque situation where foreign carriers are progressively forced out of the market by demand, labour rules, currency rules, unpredictable miscellaneous rules that drive cost, ability to repatriate funds and unfair competition.
Bad news for inbound and outbound travellers as capacity shrinks, availability is more scares and fares skyrocket. Not just for passengers, but for cargo too making exports and imports far more expensive also - especially those that rely on speed to market.

If you look at Venezuela today there are only 6 long haul foreign carriers remaining (10 foreign carriers in total) down from 14+ a few years ago (24+ foreign carriers in total that are still in business today but no longer serve CCS)

Here in Argentina we only have 14 foreign long haul carriers left (24 foreign carriers in total) alongside a growing list of carriers who ceased serving EZE in recent years (Qantas, Air New Zealand, Emirates, Qatar, South African, Malaysia, Plus-Ultra, Norwegian etc.), as well as a reducing list of cities served, frequencies and aircraft capacity available from those who remain.

The current aviation unfriendly policies here (as in many other countries in the region) only accelerate this trend. Definitely something to consider for those of us who are accustomed to travelling abroad frequently or who depend on inbound tourism.

Hard analysis from IATA: "We are concerned that Argentina will become another Venezuela"

In an aviation context, the risk is real about sliding into another Venezuela-esque situation where foreign carriers are progressively forced out of the market by demand, labour rules, currency rules, unpredictable miscellaneous rules that drive cost, ability to repatriate funds and unfair competition.
Bad news for inbound and outbound travellers as capacity shrinks, availability is more scares and fares skyrocket. Not just for passengers, but for cargo too making exports and imports far more expensive also - especially those that rely on speed to market.

If you look at Venezuela today there are only 6 long haul foreign carriers remaining (10 foreign carriers in total) down from 14+ a few years ago (24+ foreign carriers in total that are still in business today but no longer serve CCS)

Here in Argentina we only have 14 foreign long haul carriers left (24 foreign carriers in total) alongside a growing list of carriers who ceased serving EZE in recent years (Qantas, Air New Zealand, Emirates, Qatar, South African, Malaysia, Plus-Ultra, Norwegian etc.), as well as a reducing list of cities served, frequencies and aircraft capacity available from those who remain.

The current aviation unfriendly policies here (as in many other countries in the region) only accelerate this trend. Definitely something to consider for those of us who are accustomed to travelling abroad frequently or who depend on inbound tourism.

Very misleading article. It fails to mention that a couple of the major reasons for the decline of Venezuela's airline industry are that the US govt has banned all US carriers from flying there since 2019 and there are sanctions on Venezuela's state-owned airline.

But there was some good news today:

One of main reasons I lived in BA was its great connectivity to rest. of the planet and me being a frequent traveler. Really, a food for thought, as to what lies ahead for frequent travelers based out of BA.

Very misleading article. It fails to mention that a couple of the major reasons for the decline of Venezuela's airline industry are that the US govt has banned all US carriers from flying there since 2019 and there are sanctions on Venezuela's state-owned airline.

But there was some good news today:

Not quite - that’s why I referred to foreign long haul carriers like Lufthansa, Alitalia etc. The EU has no such sanctions. Also regionally it was Venezuela that banned airlines like Avianca, while it squeezed airlines like LATAM out by preventing them from repatriating revenues etc.

Currently where is the best place, for US citizens to look for flights to Miami?

Last edited:
a bit of a sidetrack to this thread: i need to get documents to the US and can either fax or mail them. (emailing documents are not considered legal by many institutions). In my small town in Cordoba prov, there are no longer fax machines, and several people have told me that international post has stopped due to virus an no flights...Any thoughts or ideas to solve?

1. Any locutorio should have a fax machine.
2. There are countless services online that will take a doc you send them (via email or upload) and fax it for you. Usually costs 10¢ per page.
You can also have your own fax number that the stuff will be faxed from. Look for MyFax or eFax.

a bit of a sidetrack to this thread: i need to get documents to the US and can either fax or mail them. (emailing documents are not considered legal by many institutions). In my small town in Cordoba prov, there are no longer fax machines, and several people have told me that international post has stopped due to virus an no flights...Any thoughts or ideas to solve?
FEDEX and UPS are working just fine - at least from Argentina to the US. I sent documents a few months ago to CA and it took 3 days door to door.

Thanks anti would appreciate if you could keep posting this for October as well when it's released

Back