September Flights

"Limited air travel between select countries in the beginning. Followed by other countries being added in a selective manner over time."

That's pretty much how it seems it will pan out, not that much different from the current special flights if tourism isn't being allowed. I was hoping for something along the lines of tourist visas being granted as long as a negative covid-test and 2 week App-tracked quarantine were held to, but I don't see that as being on the table currently, though the idea of the App I did see floated in other interviews.

"Limited air travel between select countries in the beginning. Followed by other countries being added in a selective manner over time."

Destinations will be added and subtracted. As tourists bring covid in to countries they will revert back to tighter controls. For maybe the first year (barring a vacine) it will be "Whac-a-mole" with outbreaks and clampdowns around the world. Airlines, hotels and travelers will have to adapt to frequent flight cancellations.

During that time I think we'll learn a lot about Covid-19 and adapt to ways of having it around us without letting it infect us.

South Korea had great sucess with a Contact Tracer App, similar to Map My Walk or Google Maps Timeline. At some point it will become clear to most people that the benefits of using such an app outweigh the loss of privacy.

Guy, I am not sure if being stuck in Argentina is having some sort of effect on your perception of what’s going on in the aviation industry globally so let me explain. Outside of Argentina for most part air travel is surprisingly available (yet demand is low obviously). I have since July traveled from Argentina to Europe (several countries) and now in Brasil with a flight to Argentina in a few weeks. I have still not been asked to do a quarantine anywhere (I will have to do one in BA it seems). There are many flights out of and to Argentine even now. If someone wants to travel and they have the right passport and/or are being a little creative they can. Argentines can travel to Brazil, US and some EU countries, Turkey, etc etc. I don’t think air travel “done right” is more dangerous than social events at home, which are the primary source of contagion in Argentina. Flights banning in a country like Argentina with a massive communal circulation of the virus is nothing short of stupidity. It makes sense in Australia and New Zealand since those countries have a different strategy and epidemiological situation on the ground but in Argentina!? With 12k a day? Please...

i can verify charter flights out of bogota to miami through spirt airlines is available. you can enter on a b2 visa. colombian girlfriend came through and had more attention from the colombian side. miami to phoenix no problem. did buy round trip for protection.

60F8932E-8F96-4B7D-A113-1BA375C1AD0A.jpeg
Here is the list of flights up until 30SEP.
From OCT there should be no need for special approvals and it will be up to the individual airline to set their schedule. From that point you will just need to look on their respective websites and they should show on google flights etc.

NOTE: Alberto and each affected Governor still need to approve this resumption of scheduled flights so a risk nothing changes in OCT despite very high expectations that it will. He is coming under a lot of pressure from the health sector at the moment to take us all back to phase 1.

Argentine border restrictions and quarantine rules will continue to apply to all inbounds. No non-residents may enter Argentina.

Argentines ARE traveling abroad for tourism to a handful of places that will accept them (the MIA flights are pretty full of Argentines just wanting to get away. CDG and Euro flights are full of dual National Argentines.) I suspect Brazil will become more popular once there are more flights actually available.

Am keen to see what will change with Migraciones for overstayers / stranded tourists here from this point on, as once flights are “scheduled” again there is no excuse for any non-resident passed their time limit to remain.

Guy, I am not sure if being stuck in Argentina is having some sort of effect on your perception of what’s going on in the aviation industry globally so let me explain. Outside of Argentina for most part air travel is surprisingly available (yet demand is low obviously). I have since July traveled from Argentina to Europe (several countries) and now in Brasil with a flight to Argentina in a few weeks. I have still not been asked to do a quarantine anywhere (I will have to do one in BA it seems). There are many flights out of and to Argentine even now. If someone wants to travel and they have the right passport and/or are being a little creative they can. Argentines can travel to Brazil, US and some EU countries, Turkey, etc etc. I don’t think air travel “done right” is more dangerous than social events at home, which are the primary source of contagion in Argentina. Flights banning in a country like Argentina with a massive communal circulation of the virus is nothing short of stupidity. It makes sense in Australia and New Zealand since those countries have a different strategy and epidemiological situation on the ground but in Argentina!? With 12k a day? Please...
Ja! Are you really sure you want to come back? Things make less sense here by the day and we are going into election season, which sees things make even less sense even in the best of times.
At least CABA feels kinda like normality again and is a good distraction from feeling like one needs to travel just to escape the boredom, but for how much longer is impossible to say.

Am keen to see what will change with Migraciones for overstayers / stranded tourists here from this point on, as once flights are “scheduled” again there is no excuse for any non-resident passed their time limit to remain.

I don't think it's a matter of flight availability but Migraciones being shut and tramites stuck. Any resident (yes tourists are also "residentes transitorios" as long as they are on Argentine soil) has the right to extend and change status. So the real game changer will be the day Migraciones start working again. Even before the pandemic there was a huge backlog. Now imagine 7 months of expired residencies that need to be extended and all the admin work behind this especially working under a protocolo of social distancing! If they are smart (a big IF) they will do what many European countries did -- automatically extend all residencies for 6 months after the end of the "cuarentena". This way they won't have all expirations fall on the same day if they were to simply extend everything by 30 days from day of reopening. So I hope, that at some point they say, all residencies are extended for 6 months. Tourists/residentes transitorios have 30 days from XYZ date (date of end of cuarentena) to leave the country OR request extension/change of status.

They have been auto extending the expiration dates 30 days at a time. I've been on precaria since Dec 2019. Every 30 days or so I get an email from my handlers with new sets of gov regulations proving the extension in case I get any crap from anyone.

I don't think it's a matter of flight availability but Migraciones being shut and tramites stuck. Any resident (yes tourists are also "residentes transitorios" as long as they are on Argentine soil) has the right to extend and change status. So the real game changer will be the day Migraciones start working again. Even before the pandemic there was a huge backlog. Now imagine 7 months of expired residencies that need to be extended and all the admin work behind this especially working under a protocolo of social distancing! If they are smart (a big IF) they will do what many European countries did -- automatically extend all residencies for 6 months after the end of the "cuarentena". This way they won't have all expirations fall on the same day if they were to simply extend everything by 30 days from day of reopening. So I hope, that at some point they say, all residencies are extended for 6 months. Tourists/residentes transitorios have 30 days from XYZ date (date of end of cuarentena) to leave the country OR request extension/change of status.

Most countries in Latin America and elsewhere have been simply waving the overstay fees (so long as you exit after lockdown is lifted), which makes the most sense since the additional workload can't be worth the cost of the fines they would collect. Chile is the exception, but at least they made it very easy to extend or pay the fines online. It's odd, but not unexpected that Argentina is one of the only countries that hasn't formally addressed this after 6 months.

Reactions: ben
Back