Set alight by her husband. Why is this happening time and again in Argentina?

Raymond

Registered
What is wrong with people? Why are they so mean?

You never could imagine anything more horrible, and the children saw her on fire too. Blood donors needed.

The case is still open, and my good friend´s sister is just one day out of an induced coma after receiving burns to 40% of her body, and so information is sketchy but allegedly she was set alight by her husband. Why is this happening time and again in Argentina?
She needs blood donors, so if you are able to please do.

POR FAVOR NO OLVIDEN AVISARME LOS QUE PUEDAN IR. MUCHAS GRACIAS POR TODO.

Hola Amigos. Bueno, nunca imagine estar haciendo este pedido pero acá me encuentro necesitando DADORES DE SANGRE PARA MI HERMANA. Ella tiene 3 hijos de 4, 6 y 11 años que la necesitan. seria de gran ayuda si pueden acercarse a lo largo de esta semana a las direcciones que apunto debajo.
No se necesita un tipo de sangre en particular, lo que si es necesario es que se presenten y mencionen que van a donar sangre para: ALBA FERNANDEZ, MACARENA.
Para informes y consultas: (CLINICA DEL BUEN PASTOR: 4627-5595)
Las personas con tatuajes PUEDEN pero solo si el tatuaje tiene mas de 12 meses.
AYUNO DE 6 HS
Si lo hacen por favor avisarme de alguna manera ya que necesito llevar un control debido a que se estima que ella necesitara varias operaciones a lo largo de 3 meses.
Mi telefono:15-5180-5176
Desde ya muchas gracias a todos.
Naza.

DIRECCIONES PARA DONAR:
CAPITAL FEDERAL:
Av Cordoba 6429 Lunes a Sabado 7:30 a 13 hs
Av Independencia 1816 Lunes a Viernes 8 a 12 hs
MORON:
Boatti 4 esq Sarmiento Lunes a Sabado 730 a 13 hs
CAMPO DE MAYO:
Av Vergara 6100 Puerta 1 Lunes a Sabado 8 a 12 hs

This type of crime in relatively common in South America, I reckon. I grew up seeing these types of stories again and again on the news.

One could probably have a few PHd dissertations on the possible causes of this. Many South American men don't deal with conflict very well. Sometimes they are humiliated at work, feel powerless to fight back and dump all of their hate and frustration on the family. There is also insecurity, jealousy and other issues that they were not equipped to deal with when growing up.

There are many possible causes. But it is a somewhat common occurrence in the region.

This method of violence is one of the very few strategies women have in Argentina to fight back against their oppressors. Argentina is like the USA in the 1950's in terms of sex-role stereotyping and misogyny. It is widely considered acceptable behavior for men in Argentina to verbally and emotionally (and some time physically) abuse their wives; to have at least one mistress; to attempt to have sex with any other woman that he sees; to have children with multiple women; to visit brothels regularly; to provide little help in the maintenance of the household; to never share in cooking or cleaning; to expect that all women physically resemble swimsuit models; etc. Not only are these types of behavior considered acceptable, Argentine men feel so comfortable about doing these types of things that they frequently boast about such thing in front of other women. Add all this personal abuse with the chauvinist society in general where women are very clearly informed of their subordinate place in society, and this country is a tinderbox of frustration, depression, and rage amongst women with very few viable constructive outlets.

Of course, physical assault with fire is a terrible act and not to be promoted. Some recipients are completely undeserving, while others are vastly over-deserving.

By the way, the same situation goes in Brasil. It seems pretty ironic that Argentina, Brasil, and Chile have/had female leaders while many of the more progressive (in terms of gender equality) nations of the world have not.

KarlaBA said:
This method of violence is one of the very few strategies women have in Argentina to fight back against their oppressors. Argentina is like the USA in the 1950's in terms of sex-role stereotyping and misogyny. It is widely considered acceptable behavior for men in Argentina to verbally and emotionally (and some time physically) abuse their wives; to have at least one mistress; to attempt to have sex with any other woman that he sees; to have children with multiple women; to visit brothels regularly; to provide little help in the maintenance of the household; to never share in cooking or cleaning; to expect that all women physically resemble swimsuit models; etc. Not only are these types of behavior considered acceptable, Argentine men feel so comfortable about doing these types of things that they frequently boast about such thing in front of other women. Add all this personal abuse with the chauvinist society in general where women are very clearly informed of their subordinate place in society, and this country is a tinderbox of frustration, depression, and rage amongst women with very few viable constructive outlets.

That's a pretty sweeping statement about Argentine men, I have to say.
From what I've seen, including my Argentine friends, things appear to have moved on from that knuckle dragging scenario that you portray.

Gringoboy said:
That's a pretty sweeping statement about Argentine men, I have to say.
From what I've seen, including my Argentine friends, things appear to have moved on from that knuckle dragging scenario that you portray.
Perhaps in the particular professional classes you move in this type of behavior isn't rampant. However, I have seen this behavior, and the institutions which enable it, countless times on a near daily basis across many classes and regions in the country. For example, at every automotive repairshop I have frequented, at least one (but generally a majority) of the married men working there had a mistress while the wife was home tending the newborn infant. I know this because they personally showed me the evidence with pride. My observations are not limited to blue collar workers either. This misogyny is real and rampant.

KarlaBA said:
This method of violence is one of the very few strategies women have in Argentina to fight back against their oppressors

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought this was about him lighting her on fire.

KarlaBA said:
Of course, physical assault with fire is a terrible act and not to be promoted.

Thanks for the clarification!

KarlaBA said:
Some recipients are completely undeserving, while others are vastly over-deserving.

WTF?!

ghost said:
The guy is asking for blood donations not opinions!

I thought the title of the thread was the question "Why is this happening time and again in Argentina?"

Sorry, I misunderstood the OP. I thought it was a women lighting a man on fire. And since the OP was asking why it happens a lot (their words) in Argentina, I attempted to give an opinion as to why. I can't give blood as I have HIV, otherwise I would gladly give all my blood to help this abused woman.

Back