Seven years

Gringoboy

Registered
I've just realised that it's seven years since I took a one way flight from Barcelona to Buenos Aires.
My reason for coming is simple; to find the woman I loved back in 1976.
Well, I found her and we're together and have been since 2005.
We are both very lucky to have each other.
But how things have changed during this time. Not only for us, but everywhere in Buenos Aires.
I remember when I arrived in May 2005; Nestor was president, people were picking up the debris of 2001, many banks were being boycotted by those who had lost everything, but life seemed to be getting better for most.
Admittedly, I was a lovestruck tourist at the time and on a mission so to speak; but I did feel a sense of 'things are getting better'.
Meat was excellent and we went to asados every weekend. Malbec was around $8 and I didn't detect any signs of sinister activities, such as happen now. Of course, my eyes may well have been shut and rose tinted at that time, but now....
I disticntly remember being on holiday in Carilo when Cristina was inaugurated and watching it on the telly in a local bar. There did seem to be a general feeling that with a new and lets face it, the first democratically elected woman as President of this country, that it was a new beginning.
I'm still trying to figure out where she is taking us, but I take strength from being with the woman I love and have always loved.
In that sense, it gets us through.

76 to 05....yikes are you sure it's really her? Maybe you are shacked up with her sister?

What a beautiful love story!! Is it too intrusive to ask for you to tell us how it happened? Did she have any idea you were coming back to find her? I am a hopeless romantic and love stories like these. :)

omg, that is so cute, congratulations on (re) finding the love of your life and making it work long term as well, it's easy to be a romantic when you have a crazy idea and buy a one-way ticket but seven years later to continue being a romantic is insanely admirable!!!!

nice post GB - i am here for the same reason but only three years.

the place is a mess ( in relative terms) but the last place I lived in ( Spain) is worse.

when u find out where CFK is taking us , please post and let us all know !

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']What a beautiful love story!! Is it too intrusive to ask for you to tell us how it happened? Did she have any idea you were coming back to find her? I am a hopeless romantic and love stories like these. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your very kind comments.
Ghost, her sister is blond and twelve years younger lol.
We met at a school dance in Olivos, June 1976 which could also be attributed to 10CC's 'I'm not in love', which I was in fact, at first sight and struck down.
We became inseparable. She was 15 and I 18, which was enough to get her parents a tad concerned, especially when I told them I'd sail back in a yacht to find her.
In Nov of that year, I had to return to the UK and left BA on a Blue Star Line ship and she waved me off from the port and I watched her until she was nothing more than a speck in the distance. That was hard, but we kept in touch through the next 30 odd years, first by letter/telegram and telex, later by fax...whichever way possible.
During that time, much water flowed under many bridges, not to mention the South Atlantic conflict; but it never pulled us apart. Quite the opposite.
I eventually moved to live in Spain and I can only compare what happened next to 'planetary alignment'. I phoned her and she still felt the same as me. The next day, I dashed down to a travel agent and asked if they had a flight to Buenos Aires.
I bought a one way ticket and flew out that very day.
The long walk (at least that's how it felt) from customs to the exit at EZE was a tumble of emotions. Would she be there? Have I gone completely bonkers? Am I making a terrible mistake?
As the doors opened, I saw her immediately and we simply collided into each other, shaking like jellies and then I knew.
:)

Gringoboy said:
Thanks for all your very kind comments.
Ghost, her sister is blond and twelve years younger lol.
We met at a school dance in Olivos, June 1976 which could also be attributed to 10CC's 'I'm not in love', which I was in fact, at first sight and struck down.
We became inseparable. She was 15 and I 18, which was enough to get her parents a tad concerned, especially when I told them I'd sail back in a yacht to find her.
In Nov of that year, I had to return to the UK and left BA on a Blue Star Line ship and she waved me off from the port and I watched her until she was nothing more than a speck in the distance. That was hard, but we kept in touch through the next 30 odd years, first by letter/telegram and telex, later by fax...whichever way possible.
During that time, much water flowed under many bridges, not to mention the South Atlantic conflict; but it never pulled us apart. Quite the opposite.
I eventually moved to live in Spain and I can only compare what happened next to 'planetary alignment'. I phoned her and she still felt the same as me. The next day, I dashed down to a travel agent and asked if they had a flight to Buenos Aires.
I bought a one way ticket and flew out that very day.
The long walk (at least that's how it felt) from customs to the exit at EZE was a tumble of emotions. Would she be there? Have I gone completely bonkers? Am I making a terrible mistake?
As the doors opened, I saw her immediately and we simply collided into each other, shaking like jellies and then I knew.
:)

This is corny, but I'm going to say it anyway: That is beautiful. :D

Back