Share Your Favorite Pictures Of Argentina

These three horses have been grazing on the land directly in front of my house since I arrived in 2010. The mountains of bricks in the background were produced in the horno de ladrillos (brick oven) that is located there. Much to my surprise, it produces hardly any noise or smoke. You can see the edge of the lagoon in front of the head of the horse to the left. The lagoon had been dry for many years and it filled with rainwater in the spring of 2013 (September-October). Last year at this time it was temporary home to many hundreds of birds seeking fresh water. After a very wet winter and spring in 2104 it is now larger than ever. The water table was so high a few months ago that a ten year old eucalyptus tree across the street (which is several feet lower than the land on either side) has died due to the high salt content of the ground water, and there are no birds at the lagoon this year for the same reason.

hoses%2Band%2Bbicks.jpg

Late one afternoon, about a year ago, I crept to the edge of the lagoon to take photos of the birds that were attracted by the fresh water. When I stood up and raised my arms, hundreds of them took flight. This photo only shows a few of them:

birds%2Bin%2Bflight.jpg

I took this photo of the back half of my property in October of 2012. I began cutting the knee high weeds in December of 2012 and now the same terrain looks more like a golf course fairway.

October 2012

rainbow%2B3.jpg

October 2014

back%2B5850%2Boct%2B52014.jpg

PS: The distance from the lone eucalyptus tree in the right side of the photo to the tamariscos in the back is about 70 meters and I was standing almost 40 meters from the tree when I took this shot.

While I was living in Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico, I built a three level house on a steep hillside. Occasionally, I would have papaya for breakfast in my bedroom on the top floor. I often threw the seeds out the window to the ground (20 feet below). Within a few years a papaya tree had reached the height of the window and it was close enough that I could reach out and touch the leaves. I took this photo one afternoon when (as usual) the sun was shining:

iguanas%2Bin%2Bthe%2Btree%2B1a%2B.jpg

This is the "hillside" house I built in Sayulita and the papaya tree that attracted as many as four iguanas at a time was directly behind it. This photo is about ten years old so the trees I planted in front of the house should be huge now. There is actually a street in front of the house and about half of the ground floor (a separate two bdrm rental) was "built" into the hillside. The lot only measured 8 x 10 meters and was owned by the Mexicans who lived (and probably still live) in the house below. They sold it to me thinking I would never build on it...but I did...from lot line to lot line...and straight up.

casa%2Brosa%2B1.jpg

PS: I took the liberty to post these photos in this thread even though the specific topic is "favorite pictures of Argentina." I was inspired to post the previous photo by Frenchie's "run in" with an iguana that he wrote about today. In 2010 (at the compound in Argentina) there was huge iguana at my kitchen door. It was at least a meter long including the tail. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo and I haven't seen it since.

A photo of a December sunset near the Costa Atlantica, Argentina, taken from the edge of the open field, about 40 meters from where I took the cactus flower photos:

sunset%2B5.jpg

My closest neighbors to the west live just beyond the tree line, about 200 meters from where I was standing.

Gringoboy has an eye for thigh,
And I can't lie, so do I.

Back