Shipping to USA question

Argentine Customs Regulations allow for citizens and legal residents to ship out used personal effects, for a given dollar amount based on the period of residence.

And (unless there is some exception I have yet to discover) I believe the sender and the recipient must be the same individual...who can also "prove" ownership of the goods for at least a year (if shipping to the USA).

And (unless there is some exception I have yet to discover) I believe the sender and the recipient must be the same individual...who can also "prove" ownership of the goods for at least a year (if shipping to the USA).

Absolutely otherwise for Customs it would be considered a Sale subject to Custom Duties to be assessed

It's not goods purchased. It's our belongings that we shipped here. It's impossible. We've exhausted ourselves calling and trying to figure this out. Impossible.

It's not goods purchased. It's our belongings that we shipped here. It's impossible. We've exhausted ourselves calling and trying to figure this out. Impossible.

Did you actually ship your belongings to Argentina or did you bring everything with you as checked baggage? In either case were you required to pay any customs fees?

If you actually shipped your stuff to Argentina as a tourist, it would be helpful to know what service you used and how much (if any) customs fees you had to pay.

I know from personal experience as well as from reading recent posts that foreigners are granted a lot of latitude when bringing used stuff for personal use, regardless of their resident status.

Anything you can add to clarify your experience is likely to help others in the future. I had no idea that non-residents could not ship anything out of thee country until you started this topic!

PS: Since you apparently have too much stuff to take back in one trip as checked baggage it would also be interesting to know if you brought it to Argentina in multiple trips and, if so, that is also the reason you never sought an upgrade from the visa transitoria.

Last edited:
It would indeed be useful for the OP to supply us with more information.

Was ten years ago but our container from the UK was opened and checked in front of us by customs at the docks. They literally took a quick peek inside and gave it the all clear. As I had already obtained permanent residence and my wife was Argentine I got the impression they knew in advance we weren't up to anything dodgy.

Hello everyone.

We are moving back to the states and are having a really hard time finding out how to ship our stuff back to the US.

Shipping companies informed us that only Argentine citizens with US work visas, dual citizens, or foreigners with residency in Argentina are allowed to ship anything outside of the country as per Argentine law.

We do not apply to any of those. DHL can only ship up to 50 kilos and we have significantly more than that. We have been calling tons of companies that keep referring us to other companies and phone numbers. We were told that we would need a clearing agent but everytime we call a new place to get answers nobody seems to know what the hell they are talking about. Does anyone know how we can get our stuff back to the US?
Hello! Anyone knows how to bring things from Argentina to Texas? In a ship but through high company?

Hello everyone.

We are moving back to the states and are having a really hard time finding out how to ship our stuff back to the US.

Shipping companies informed us that only Argentine citizens with US work visas, dual citizens, or foreigners with residency in Argentina are allowed to ship anything outside of the country as per Argentine law.

We do not apply to any of those. DHL can only ship up to 50 kilos and we have significantly more than that. We have been calling tons of companies that keep referring us to other companies and phone numbers. We were told that we would need a clearing agent but everytime we call a new place to get answers nobody seems to know what the hell they are talking about. Does anyone know how we can get our stuff back to the US?
Did you manage to do so? Which company u used? What a mess! Same situation!!!

You can drive your stuff to Chile and ship out of Valparaiso or San Antonio.

Back