Shocking new income requirement for visa rentista?

What sense does it make for Argentina to attract foreigners that can only prove they have 700 dollar of income

Up the amount and you get many more foreigners who can actually spend in the local economy

French Jurist: From what i have read it doesnt say i need a bank account in arg or DNI ?

steveinbsas said:
The process is easy and straightforward if you know what you are doing. The folks at migraciones obviously cannot explain everything to foreigners who do not speak the language. That isn't their job...though the ladies at the prorrogas went out of their way to find someone working in a nearby sector to translate for me when they lost my file (fortunately, the day after my permanent residency was granted).

I dont speak spanish very well, but i did have a local friend come with me to speak for me and ask my questions just in case i stuffed it all up.

French jurist said:
I am searching different sources right now, went to the Senate website (nothing), the Diputados (nothing).

The ONLY new law that appeared, regarding immigration (source : BO) is Decreto 616/2010, date 6 of may 2010.
It's the reglamento of the law de migraciones (the one that concerns us) 25.871.
This reglamento tends to precise certain points.
I am reading it right now and didn't find anything scary.

Until now, I just found this portion regarding rentistas :

b) Rentista: Quien ingrese en esta subcategoría deberá acreditar ante la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES el origen de los fondos y su ingreso al país, por intermedio de instituciones bancarias o financieras autorizadas por el BANCO CENTRAL DE LA REPUBLICA ARGENTINA. Asimismo, deberá probar que el monto de las rentas que perciba resulta suficiente para atender a su manutención y la de su grupo familiar primario. A los fines de otorgar la residencia se deberán tomar en cuenta las disposiciones de la Ley Nº 25.246, sobre Encubrimiento y Lavado de Activos de origen delictivo.

The law may not specify exactly how much income is required to receive or renew the visa rentista. A "sufficient" amount may be up to the policy makers at migraciones, hence an increase in the income requirement could come at any time and without prior notice.

Last year the policy of granting permanent residency on the third renewal was suspended and reinstated, at least on a limited basis. I'm not sure if there was an actual change in the law or just a change in policy.

qwerty said:
What sense does it make for Argentina to attract foreigners that can only prove they have 700 dollar of income

Up the amount and you get many more foreigners who can actually spend in the local economy

And create more "perma-tourists" than ever....

steveinbsas said:
In the past migraciones has routinely renewed visa rentistas even for those without a DNI. The bank account "requirement" is a matter of policy which began in 2009 and originally required that temporary resident visa holders make monthly wire transfers into their AR accounts from their home countries. This requirement was quickly dropped as it was too difficult (USA homeland security issues).
What has not changed since 2009 is the requirement to have an ARG bank account and to show evidence of it at the renewal process. The account must have a significant balance in it. Probably AR$3000 would be sufficient.

Remember, in ARG there are the laws and then there is how the laws are implemented/interpreted. That is why an immigration lawyer is so helpful as they know exactly how migrations is interpreting a particular law on any given month...the interpretation changes unpredictably and seemingly without reason sometimes.

steveinbsas said:
In a yahoo group forum of BA expats I just read a post that "reported" new visa rentista/pensionado income requirements of $2000 U$D per person per month (up from $700U$D per family per month). I wonder if this is true and if the new income requirements will be "applied" to those renewing visas as well as applying for new ones.

Steve,

This is true. It's a new policy that's being applied for about 2 weeks now. I still haven't seen it in writing and haven't been informed about the Resolution or Disposition number. As soon as I have that information I'll post it.

This new US$ 2000 per family member requirement applies (apparently, from what I was informed at Migraciones) only to Rentistas. Pensionados do not have a minimum (again, I haven't seen it in writing).

Attorney in BA said:
Steve,

This is true. It's a new policy that's being applied for about 2 weeks now. I still haven't seen it in writing and haven't been informed about the Resolution or Disposition number. As soon as I have that information I'll post it.

This new US$ 2000 per family member requirement applies (apparently, from what I was informed at Migraciones) only to Rentistas. Pensionados do not have a minimum (again, I haven't seen it in writing).

Do you know if the new requirement applies to those who already have the visa rentista and plan to renew in the future or will they be "protected" by a "grandfather" clause?

Also, can you please clarify if these are changes in the actual migracion laws or "arbitrary" changes in policy.

Attorney in BA said:
Steve,

:eek: Thanks Attorney

Let's hope it's not "the tree hiding the forest" like we say in french, meaning more measures are to be taken (permatourists or other)

Back