Shocking new income requirement for visa rentista?

chico said:
can you help me understand the difference between a rentista and a pensionado?

davonz said:
From what i have been told, pensionado is for retired people - who get a pension.

Rentista is for young/er people, with an income from outside arg that is equal to ARG$2500 per month.

And in the future the income requirement for the rentista will be U$D2000 per month.

The income for the visa rentista must be from investments or "unearned" income, which means it cannot be wages or a salary. If it is US income subject to FICA it will not be acceptable for granting the visa rentista. "Profits" from a sole proprietorship aren't easily accepted, either. If you are "self-employed" while living in Argentina, you would (technically) need to apply for a work visa, even though the business is in another country. I personally don't know of anyone who has done this.

I was told at migraciones that income form an irrevocable trust that would be in effect for the life of the beneficiary would be considered for the visa pensionado, even though I asked about the visa rentista. Thus, it is possible to get the pensionado even without a pension...as long as migraciones believes you have income that will continue without interruption until you die.

Davonz, please don't be offended, but I think you should question what you "have been told" as often as possible. Didn't you recently post that AR migraciones in New Zealand told you that all you need to do to renew your visa rentista for the second year was present the "second envelope" at an airport in Argentina? Perhaps this was the result of not understanding the language? Earlier in this thread you wrote that just last Friday no one at migraciones (here) said anything about money or income and that you thought it was because you already had the visa, but if they asked for something nota BCO, they probably did. You indicated you went with someone who spoke Spanish with you so things wouldn't get stuffed up. Perhaps something was lost in the translation.

I'm concerned that you are about to discover how very stuffed up things really are when you fail to provide "proof" of your foreign income when you return to migraciones this week. If you cannot produce the required financial documents in time (including bank statements), you might have to apply for a new visa and possibly comply with the new income requirement as well. I agree that now a lawyer might be your best option if it isn't already too late. As you went before your visa expired, perhaps they will give you time beyond the expiration date to provide the docs. Let us know what happens, especially what they say about having a bank account in Argentina (well over a year after they began requiring them for the visa renewal). Good luck!

soulskier said:
Buy our property and qualify for an investment visa.

Not only will you own a killer piece of real estate that produces a steady monthly income, but take care of the rentista kilombo as well.

an investment visa, does that also count for something that you bought here in the past?

katti said:
an investment visa, does that also count for something that you bought here in the past?

From what I know, an investment visa can only be obtained when you invest a minimum of 100,000 pesos into the Argentinian economy, residential property doesn't count.

And no it has to be done in conjunction with the visa application as the money needs to go through the central bank specifically for that purpose.

-----------------------------------------

That's a really nice property soulskier

AlexfromLA said:
From what I know, an investment visa can only be obtained when you invest a minimum of 100,000 pesos into the Argentinian economy, residential property doesn't count.

And no it has to be done in conjunction with the visa application as the money needs to go through the central bank specifically for that purpose.

too bad... :mad:

steveinbsas said:
Davonz, please don't be offended, but I think you should question what you "have been told" as often as possible. Didn't you recently post that AR migraciones in New Zealand told you that all you need to do to renew your visa rentista for the second year was present the "second envelope" at an airport in Argentina? Perhaps this was the result of not understanding the language? Earlier in this thread you wrote that just last Friday no one at migraciones (here) said anything about money or income and that you thought it was because you already had the visa, but if they asked for something nota BCO, they probably did. You indicated you went with someone who spoke Spanish with you so things wouldn't get stuffed up. Perhaps something was lost in the translation.

I'm concerned that you are about to discover how very stuffed up things really are when you fail to provide "proof" of your foreign income when you return to migraciones this week. If you cannot produce the required financial documents in time (including bank statements), you might have to apply for a new visa and possibly comply with the new income requirement as well. I agree that now a lawyer might be your best option if it isn't already too late. As you went before your visa expired, perhaps they will give you time beyond the expiration date to provide the docs. Let us know what happens, especially what they say about having a bank account in Argentina (well over a year after they began requiring them for the visa renewal). Good luck!

I am not offended.

I was told by the ARG consul in NZ that the second envelope was to be given to immigration when i renewed my visa, and it is in an email written in english from them - so not lost in translation.

You may be right about not properly understanding what was said on friday, but i didnt hear any mention of bank account details either, so i am kind of thinking that my friend was right. I got her (immigration officer) to write it down on paper, so i knew for sure. Which she did, but she wrote out instructions on one piece of paper, then decided to take it back and wrote it out again slightly different on another piece of paper.. So anyways who knows.

And as i said i went on tuesday to find out what i needed and was told by a different lady that i just needed photocopies of 3 pages of my passport.

Anyways I will see what happens, if worst comes to worst i will just go across to colonia and do the 3 months.

steveinbsas said:
And create more "perma-tourists" than ever....

I doubt that many people that can prove they earn 700 dollar a month abroad make it as perm-tourists a long time

soulskier said:
Buy our property and qualify for an investment visa.

Not only will you own a killer piece of real estate that produces a steady monthly income, but take care of the rentista kilombo as well.

How long has it been on the market?

AlexfromLA said:

You also need an Argentine socio and offer someone employment. Maybe you can package your property as a business and appoint an Argentine as a director.

Either way this seems pretty risky as it even can be pulled off.

This changes offcourse if your (spouse is) Argentine but let's keep that out of the picture in this thread

AlexfromLA said:

Recently (within the past few months), someone posted that this figure had been increased to $300,000 pesos. I don't know if that's true, but it would be in line with the other increases of 300%, including the temporary resident visa renewal fees and tourist visa overstay fines as well as the new income requirement for the visa rentista.

It would make sense considering inflation has whittled down 100,000 pesos to a mere $ 25K usd when it used to be more like $34K usd. It also makes sense as businesses are getting more and more expensive to start. 300,000 pesos is still only $75K usd which is still a pretty small figure and much cheaper than purchasing rental property here.

steveinbsas said:
Recently (within the past few months), someone posted that this figure had been increased to $300,000 pesos. I don't know if that's true, but it would be in line with the other increases of 300%, including the temporary resident visa renewal fees and tourist visa overstay fines as well as the new income requirement for the visa rentista.

Back