should i move to BA?

ashflo182

Registered
hello --
i am very seriously considering a rotation with my job in buenos aires for a year starting in september. i was hoping someone could please provide some feedback on their experience, inside and outside of work.

i do financial valuation work for a public accounting firm. i know, i know, corporate yuppie dorky job, but hey, i like numbers. outside of work i tend to be more of a free spirit. i am very laid back and am heavily into music. the office atmosphere i am currently in is very work hard/play hard, and i love it.

okay -- to my questions.

my main concern is how little spanish i know. i obviously plan to learn and pick up on it asap but.. realistically how difficult is this going to be for me?

my other concern is that the salary i am being offered is appropriate. if anyone knows what the ballpark salary is for someone in my field with 3 years of experience and could please tell me i would greatly appreciate it. an approximate upper middle class salary would even help. i would like to know how much room i have to reasonably negotiate my offer.

assuming i can get past these two concerns, i will see you in september!

thanks so much,
ashley

You will be able to learn a sufficient level of Spanish within 2 to 3 months.

The only thing you can compare is figures, it's impossible to compare pay in the US with Argentina.

A decent life cost you between 2 and 3000 dollar a month

Something very important to consider: If you are going to be legally working here you need a work visa and that entails a lot of paperwork that you should start now (if you haven't already done so). Is your company going to provide help in applying for the visa or will you need to do it on your own? In either case I hope you are in a city with an Argentine consulate.

Also, is your company going to provide an apartment or an "extra" allowance for rent in addition to your salary? You will certainly want to rent a furnished apartment. A six month lease is the "legal" maximum you can sign, even if you have a temporary work visa, but it is fairly easy to rent for six months with an option for an additional six months. You might look on websites for apartments close to your work location to avoid a long (and quickly despised) commute, but be careful. If you are working in the Center you probably won't enjoy living there as well.

As for learning Spanish, I suggest you start now with "listen and learn" CD's.

thank you for the input!

visa would be taken care of, as this is through my firm. my rent would also be included in my package.

i am unsure where the Center is. I would be living in Recoleta and working near the cross streets av cordoba and av eduardo madero.

if i am budgeting for food/entertianment what do you think an avg monthly number is?

side note.. any depeche mode fans? i see they are playing BA in oct. i may or may not have to go to that.

there are a lot of post already on file. about once a week someone asks something like your question. a lot of the answers are in back forums. do some reasearch.

ashflow182, try to visit BsAs at least once and see the city before your actual relocation. You salary requirements would depend mostly on the lifestyle you want - so only you can say how much that is...again just visit the city, you at least owe yourself that. Good luck. :)

ashflo182 said:
thank you for the input!

visa would be taken care of, as this is through my firm. my rent would also be included in my package.

i am unsure where the Center is. I would be living in Recoleta and working near the cross streets av cordoba and av eduardo madero.

if i am budgeting for food/entertianment what do you think an avg monthly number is?

side note.. any depeche mode fans? i see they are playing BA in oct. i may or may not have to go to that.

1 peso - 3, 70 peso

Movies 2 x 25 peso
Eating out average restaurant 2 x75
Eating out fancy restaturant 2 x 125
Eating out shopping 2 x 25
Clubbing 100 peso
Concert 300 peso to 600 peso
Soccergame 50 to 75 peso
Bar = 25-30 peso

Go for it! so many people come here and struggle to look for work teaching - sounds like you're in a great situation. If you can get $1000 -$1500 US (after rent+utilities) you'll be doing great and will be able to go out, eat out, etc multiple times a week. However - traveling around Argentina gets a bit more expensive, esp when flying, but for just daily living in the city, the above will be fine.

ashflo182 said:

Ashflo, the Center or Microcentro is probably the least pleasant part of the city, so don't worry about it. Recoleta is one of the more pleasant and convenient areas in the city, and Córdoba/Eduardo Madero is in a downtown extension of modern high-rise office buildings very near the Puerto Madero, also quite nice. I recommend you explore the city a bit by Google Earth to get a feel for the areas you mention.

The cost estimates already posted in the thread are accurate. I'll add that public transportation by subway or bus costs 1 - 1.20 pesos per ride and that taxis are abundant and very cheap. (Probably 10 pesos or less between Recoleta and las Catalinas, which is the area around your office.) With the exception of imported stuff (especially electronics), other living expenses, including groceries, are a fraction of their cost in any major US city.

Sounds to me like a great opportunity for you if you're open to the challenge of a different culture [European in this case] and language.

Back