Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

Considering the recent history, I think Argentines are quite tolerant if not welcoming of Brits. There's British culture schools all over the place. Honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about - at least not anymore than Americans or the Spanish. There might be a lot of talk about the evil English, as there is about the US, but rarely are individuals targetted. :)

In any case it's always a good idea to be diplomatic and avoid going against the flow too much. Or do so at your own risk. Usually not the best idea to wear a River shirt in the Boca section. ;)

...the Vice President, Amado Boudou, publicly suggested Britain was stoking the stand-off to distract its own population from domestic problems.

:rolleyes: Yeah, because everything here is just fine n' dandy...

Boudou's statement is overwhelmingly like the pot calling the kettle black.

For those who are interested, James Neilson's editorial, BACK TO THE FUTURE, in today's Buenos Aires Herald, is an excellent comment on the state of Argentina today. I was here in the '70s, and what he writes is pretty well on the mark.

Those burning the Brisith flag are a small grupete like Quebracho, la Cámpora, etc. There is no need to exagerate, mainstream Argentines would never do something like that.

Furthermore, all the war talking seems to be comin from the UK nowadays, as I think that not even the most loyal Kirchnerista or Quebracho militant would believe Argentina could manage to bring soldiers to the Islands. Probably the landing ship would run out of fuel or sink due to the waves.

While not a Kirchnerista, I believe Cameron's comment regarding Argentina being colonialist was a big fauxpas.

Regarding the dispute itself, both sides believe they have good reasons to claim sovereignity...but actually none can prove it, it is a matter of interpretation of things that happened during the last 500 years. That the people on the Island want to be British is fine, but they were implanted there just after the Argentine population was forced to move away. For me then, this does not count as a good argument. There has to be some kind of negotiation at some point, specially if the fish stock gets terminated and no huge oil reserves are found...the cost burden will be too high for the UK govt.
The solution has to help the Brits save face though, which I think will be the most difficult to achieve.

Aconcagua said:
I wonder what absurd response Cristina will conjure up next.

I thought she was pretty much on the money calling Cameron mediocre and stupid :)

I'm an Argentinian, and I dont think argentines are just going to start discriminating against Brits or attacking them at all. We dont like the idea that the war was fought against a dictatorship, and that the Brits took advantage of that charade, fighting a war that should have never happened. But all of this makes us mad at the governments, not the people.

In my opinion, people that would actually discriminate against Brits, can't speak English, or don't really care about it; and people like me, who actually do care, know that it's not the British people who we should be mad at.

Back