Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

That's why I always entered Argentina on Croatian passport, instead British as of many years

Amargo said:
Those burning the Brisith flag are a small grupete like Quebracho, la Cámpora, etc. There is no need to exagerate, mainstream Argentines would never do something like that.

Furthermore, all the war talking seems to be comin from the UK nowadays, as I think that not even the most loyal Kirchnerista or Quebracho militant would believe Argentina could manage to bring soldiers to the Islands. Probably the landing ship would run out of fuel or sink due to the waves.

While not a Kirchnerista, I believe Cameron's comment regarding Argentina being colonialist was a big fauxpas.

Regarding the dispute itself, both sides believe they have good reasons to claim sovereignity...but actually none can prove it, it is a matter of interpretation of things that happened during the last 500 years. That the people on the Island want to be British is fine, but they were implanted there just after the Argentine population was forced to move away. For me then, this does not count as a good argument. There has to be some kind of negotiation at some point, specially if the fish stock gets terminated and no huge oil reserves are found...the cost burden will be too high for the UK govt.
The solution has to help the Brits save face though, which I think will be the most difficult to achieve.

No idea who I can't stand more of the two

Batten down the hatches, chaps!!

CFK has a special press conference tomorrow at 7pm.

Not clear what the subject is but she has invited the Opposition parties , which she never does

i think Argentines should keep a low profile, or we gonna take EVERYTHING!! MUAHAA

It's strange, even with the recent rise in tension between Argentina and UK, I still see many Argentines wearing English flag t-shirts on the streets every day

glasgowjohn said:
Batten down the hatches, chaps!!

CFK has a special press conference tomorrow at 7pm.

Not clear what the subject is but she has invited the Opposition parties , which she never does
Yes and she won't divulge the meat of the conference. Very clever or not, just to keep us all guessing.
Of course, sending our Ambassador home would be the final straw, but that sort of thing is done privately and diplomatically. Or is it?

Gringoboy said:
Of course, sending our Ambassador home would be the final straw, but that sort of thing is done privately and diplomatically. Or is it?

Depends on the circumstances. Getting declared persona non grata -- PNG'd in Diplo speak -- is a private deal. Generally the ambassador is called into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain herself/himself, and if the explanation isn't good enough... Chau! An announcement is then made public.

I doubt they will be PNG'ing the UK Ambassador. Argentina recently just sent over an Ambassador to the UK. The spot remained vacant for years, if my memory serves me correctly. If Argentina declares the UK ambassador "persona non grata," the UK would probably retaliate with the same action, declaring the new Argentine ambassador to the UK "persona non grata." So, my point is that declaring the UK Ambassador PNG would make the trouble of appointing a new ambassador to the UK rather pointless...

I think its going to be more fanning of the flames.
Its incredible how they are manipulating this issue and playing with the argentines sense of blind patriotism.
U$S 5 sais that the people take to the streets after the speach, r at a minimum crowed the plaza de mayo to bobblehead approval

Back