Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

Amargo said:
Moreover, how determine what's 'run their own country'? According to this, Argentines are happier than Brits after all (I can't wait to read someone saying 'oh, the study is rubbish, bla bla bla).

According to the same study, the good people of Luxembourg would be better off under the wise governance and enviable living conditions found in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

scotttswan said:
I missed Timmerman's response to the yank who asked him about self determination of the islanders. Anyone see it? Did he just repeat that Argentina thinks they have no right to self determination?

Usual line of sovereignty trumping self determination and that the islanders wishes don't necessarily intersect with their best interests, and Argentina, in all her benevolence and wisdom, will advise these natives on what is in their best interest - that is that they should be ruled by Argentina.

Interestingly only minutes earlier he had comprehensiveñy dismantled any arguments that Argentina was harbouring colonialist attitudes.

jp said:
According to the same study, the good people of Luxembourg would be better off under the wise governance and enviable living conditions found in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Maybe they are not whingeing all the time for things they don't possess. Hapinnes is not equal wealth.
Most German people I know believe the Greeks have a better life quality, the Greeks know what is important in life, they maintain.

Already two saying the study is rubbish (of course because it does not go the way they want)...and counting.

anyone see the boxing from Mar Del Plata last niht,,,??the result went in favour of a Columbian,instead of the Argentine,and all hell broke loose...THEY COULD NOT ACCEPT IT...are there any Argentines on here that can(and as an ex-pat forum i don,t know why you should be)maybe explain the mentality of it?

Amargo said:
Most German people I know believe the Greeks have a better life quality

The same country who's Prime Minister Lucas Papademos said today "the Greek people are at risk of imminent catastrophe if parliament fails to pass the austerity bill."?

hmmm interesting

Amargo said:
Hapinnes is not equal wealth.

Of course. But few people include military rape and having their children abducted to fight as child soldiers under the list of things that make them happy.

Amargo said:
Already two saying the study is rubbish (of course because it does not go the way they want)...and counting.

Not saying its rubbish, just pointing out that good governance and happiness aren't remotely related. The study was about whether people were happy, not whether their governments contributed to their happiness.

Optimism and satisfaction with one's personal life often has nothing to do with the state of the country. Happiness is a state of mind. (Strong family ties and nice weather helps!) ;)

In any case, it bears no relevance to this issue. The people of the Falklands aren't going to suddenly start feeling a lot better about life if the flag that flies over their islands instantly changes to the albiceleste. :p

I can see both sides of the Malvinas issue, but at this point in time Argentina has bigger priorities it should be focusing on. :rolleyes:

As for Brits, I still see plenty of people on the street wearing British flag t-shirts and not even getting a sideways glance. Truth is, your average Argentine probably couldn't spot the difference between a British, American, Canadian, or Australian accent. You just might not want to fly the Union Jack from your balcony or talk to loudly about how the Malvinas are British and always will be! But that's probably good advice no matter where you're from. :cool:

HowardinBA said:
anyone see the boxing from Mar Del Plata last niht,,,??the result went in favour of a Columbian,instead of the Argentine,and all hell broke loose...THEY COULD NOT ACCEPT IT...are there any Argentines on here that can(and as an ex-pat forum i don,t know why you should be)maybe explain the mentality of it?

Granted, Argentines are not famous for being graceful in defeat, but those who cowardly attacked the filipino boxer in Mar del Plata were not plain fans and had other interests in mind.

See this.

It is this rubbish peronismo again.

jp said:
Of course. But few people include military rape and having their children abducted to fight as child soldiers under the list of things that make them happy.

Not saying its rubbish, just pointing out that good governance and happiness aren't remotely related. The study was about whether people were happy, not whether their governments contributed to their happiness.

We could of course also list the atrocities committed by the Bristish Empire or more recently by the UK.
My point is, the reasons named (Argentina being unable to run the country, or the atrocities committed by its goverments, etc) have in my opinion nothing to do with sovereignity.

As I wrote before, surely both parties have in their eyes strong enough arguments, but none can prove anything, as most of them are a matter of interpretation (each party interpreting facts accoring to their claims). That's why negotiations are necessary.

Back