Sign That My House is Going to be Robbed?

sheawj

Registered
DSCN1934.jpg

I came home from taking my son to school to see this scribbled next to my front door with a crayon-like medium. Maybe it was there when I left, not sure, but it was most definitely not there yesterday.
Should I be worried? Maybe it is just a kid being a hood wannabe, but I am afraid I am being marked for a robbing. There is a large white wall that would normally be best for graffiti, so it's odd to me that anyone would choose a little place...by the front door. We're in the middle of painting over it, of course, but wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this sort of thing.
I don't even have anything worth robbing (just this laptop), as I came here with only a few suitcases. Ack.

Thanks in advance!

Induced collective paranoia seems to work, if I were you I'll clean it out immediately and the problem will disappear .... there is no sign then there aren't a theft.

If there is a 'portero' in the building let him know before hand because it may be a signal for something to repair gas, electricity, water etc.

sheawj said:
DSCN1934.jpg

I came home from taking my son to school to see this scribbled next to my front door with a crayon-like medium. Maybe it was there when I left, not sure, but it was most definitely not there yesterday.
Should I be worried? Maybe it is just a kid being a hood wannabe, but I am afraid I am being marked for a robbing. There is a large white wall that would normally be best for graffiti, so it's odd to me that anyone would choose a little place...by the front door. We're in the middle of painting over it, of course, but wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this sort of thing.
I don't even have anything worth robbing (just this laptop), as I came here with only a few suitcases. Ack.

Thanks in advance!
I think the translation for that scribbling is, "Rick Perry is the Anti-Christ", but I could be wrong.

I know I sound paranoid (and if you all wanna laugh go ahead).
I have always come here for support and questions when things have come up. I am going to ask if I am not sure about something, as this is about the safety of my child and myself/ just plain piece of mind when I am away I am talking about. There is no way for me to know if a certain squiggly line after a name means 'robbers dream w00t w00t'. I have been robbed when I thought I was safe (near here) and my elderly neighbor was just robbed recently as well.
The writing is now gone. Thanks for all who responded that it probably isn't a biggie. It does help.

sheawj said:
I know I sound paranoid (and if you all wanna laugh go ahead).

Sheawj, I doubt very much you're being paranoid. About 18 months ago my cleaning lady gave me a print out of about 30 signs with different meanings for upcoming robberies or kidnappings - for example graffiti that meant these people leave the house every day to work oa woman lives alone here... Sorry I just left Bsas and threw it away but this link reports on the same thing since 2006:

http://yolytesoro.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/marcar-las-casas-para-robarlas/

Hello. I don't want to alarm you, but I had a similar mark left on an inconspicuous place next to my door the week before my house was burgled last week. I also noted during that week that somebody knocked on the door a bunch of times (but nobody was there when I answered) and also that there were small pieces of white paper left in the door frame on multiple occasions--apparently they fall out if the door is opened, a way of advising the delinquents whether anybody has entered or left the house. I advise you to be very careful.

I personally don't think it's a lot to worry about however please be vigilant. While gang culture is not yet prevalent here in Capital Federal and Gran Buenos Aires, things are all global now so don't let your guard down. And just a side note, fellow expats, this a woman with a child we are responding to so let's show a little bit of solidarity here and not poke fun and make dumb comments about her concerns. If something potentially seemed scary to your mom, sister, aunt, etc, you probably wouldn't laugh. Keep the jokes for other issues that don't play with peoples sense of security. It can be very scary, trust me I know, I've had a gun pointed at me here.......

Thanks!
Yes, my house holds my son, my girlfriend, an old collie, and a slightly gassy kitten. No big dog, no doorman, no beefy hubby...though I admit the house itself is secure. We are only concerned when coming in and out of our main gate.
But yeah, I really am overly cautious...usually we walk our old dog on the way to school with my fiancee, and usually say good morning to some security guys a few blocks down. Except Wednesdays, when it is just my son and myself. On one of those Wednesdays, one of the guards wondered where my dog and girl were, and I cheerfully said, "Oh, it is only me on Wednesdays!" Later, I was paranoid and kicking myself...so I changed my route to and from school completely

Anyways, I am from a really small rural town in the U.S. (the kind with only one stoplight and you never lock your car), and though I didn't freak out when I was robbed, I really don't think I will ever feel safe here.

Back