Sinking Economy: A Restaurant Closes Every Day

Clarin says Today; only 6% of the population make more than $42K and constitute the ABC1 segment that can afford to eat out regularly in fancy places . Maybe 100,000 people in the City!!

data to support that ? The economy is always a mess. People have saving to hedge against that. the crisis in 2001 caught people off guard because banks closed and took people's saving. I expect things continue to be " bad as usual ", not go over the cliff.

Indec, which always reports in favor of the government, just posted a 7% rise in unemployment over the past month. That's an indication of recession.

Tim Horton's and The Second Cup didn't make it out of Canada... so Starbucks is the reference that's more widely known. ALSEA Group also put a freeze on new developments in Argentina until the economy gets more under control.

As for Greek food... it is not very well represented here. There are few good places, and I am very particular about it, I won't experiment with this. Better to make it at home.

Pizza pockets are dirt; but that's how much I can't stand to eat empanadas now. I WON'T start another pizza controversy again. I think we've done that to death... but i would kill for a Panago pepperoni, mushroom an jalapeño right now. No pepperoni, and canned mushrooms will not cut it.
I've actually tried to order 'custom' provolone and mushroom pizza at one of these pizzerias de barrio. The cook tells me that they can't do that. They have mushrooms and they have provolone... so what's the problem??? Apparently those items have not been put combined on any of the pizzas in their menu so they will not make it. I offered to pay more money, nope.
See why they might close? Inflexibility to meet customer needs. This is pizza not beef stroganoff.

I've actually tried to order 'custom' provolone and mushroom pizza at one of these pizzerias de barrio. The cook tells me that they can't do that. They have mushrooms and they have provolone... so what's the problem??? Apparently those items have not been put combined on any of the pizzas in their menu so they will not make it. I offered to pay more money, nope.
See why they might close? Inflexibility to meet customer needs. This is pizza not beef stroganoff.

In Bolivia once, my wife saw ham sandwiches and cheese sandwiches on the menu, but wanted ham and cheese. The response to her request: "Jamón y queso no hay."

Around San Telmo where I am temporarily living I think this is a good options: Plaza asturias (Spanish and Argentine food, savory dishes like pink salmon, elegant, clean, and nice waitress), it is not that cheap but is a nice place to eat out. You are offered Jerez and Lemoncello; if you want to save a few bucks you can order just water and enjoy jerez and lemoncelo.

Another place that is inexpensive and I liked is "il nonno bachicha", the portions are fine (the exact size) and the quality is excellent. I haven't found a better quality in San Telmo for beefs yet. I can find better places in "Mataderos" but not in the touristic zones. I went to expensive restaurants and I saw that they try to make the place "modern" but I did not feel happy with the quality of the dishes. Il nono bachicha is not modern :) but it is savory, the dishes are well seasoned and you are offered extra dressings.

Plaza Asturias is a good place to go. I think the food is fairly good, but I wouldn't call it great (except in comparison with other restaurants here) though I love that you can get halfway decent seafood and some fairly nicely-done Spanish dishes.

The biggest thing that draws me there are the waitresses...and not because it's easier to look upon the fairer sex or anything as base as that, but rather they are quite simply friendlier and more efficient and far better wait-persons than the stodgy stick-up-their-ass male waiters who are the overwhelming norm here! Not that I've ever had a problem with male waiters in general - until I came here and it was about all you could get except for a few places here and there.

I hope that restaurants like these don't go away. Lots of families and younger groups I've seen eating there, as well as middle-aged and older groups going to enjoy a nice meal. Hopefully the young aren't going to suddenly overwhelmingly start choosing places that serve copious amounts of draft beer at cheap prices accompanied by soggy, tasteless pizzas or greasy, terrible hamburgers and floppy, greasy fries in place of restaurants like Plaza Asturias.

I agree that there has been a change in available types of food here over the last 5 years or so. However, I'm hoping whatever economic crisis that ends up being the result of the shenanigans of the last 5-6 years on the part of the government doesn't end up driving this promising, beginning of a change out in favor of the ol' standby of Pizza, Pasta and Parilla (with the probable addition of Pitchers [and crap]) all over again.

David I guess as a European we may have different views on wait staff. I don't need to know the name of my server or for them to tell me how delicious my food smells or how cute I'm looking in a dress of an evening. The food in Plaza Asturias is definitely tired and not reflective of modern Spanish cuisine but I've never found the staff grumpy. Old fashioned professional and warm, especially on a particularly lively new year's eve we spent in El Globo with my aged parents dancing with the waiter and other customers. As a lapsed perfectionist I am prepared to allow lapses of efficiency when they are replaced by authenticity and charm.

Back