Skiiing Advice - Better In Argentina Or Chile?

To get an idea of the service at each resort check out the reviews on snow-forecast:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/countries/Argentina/resorts

Does anyone know when the skiing season begins in Bariloche and also Valle Nevado?

Ski season is entirely dependent on the weather here, they rarely make snow.

For info on skiing from Santiago:

http://santiagotourist.com/skiing-within-reach-of-santiago

There are a few different options depending on your budget and time-frame (Portillo only books rooms for the week). The nice thing about Santiago is if you're visiting the city too you can go up to the mountains whenever you want, they have daily shuttles up every morning and it takes 1-1.5 hours to get up and down.

Chileans and tourists who go to valle nevado stay in Santiago, at Providencia, Las Condes or Vitacura and take a van to go to the sky place, it is around 90 minutes each way.

Thanks Roxana and [background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]BaltRochGirl ![/background]
If the year is normal when will the slopes open in Valle Nevado?

I ski every year here in Chapelco (www.chapelco.com) in San Martin de los Andes. The skiing in general in SA is mediocre compared to France/Europe and the US, especially the number of runs and service/price ratio, but always better than the Chilean resorts, may of which just have a few basic lifts and few runs, while being higher priced.

Probably Las Lenas is the biggest/nicest. I think Bariloche is a bit larger than Chapelco, but last year Chapelco opened up several weeks before Bariloche (and Villa Angostura) as they had no snow yet. This year the official opening date is 18th June, but of course it depends on the snow.

We do a lot of cross-country skiing (with skins), which is great here, but that is also very good in Chile, especially on the volcanoes.

Thanks Roxana and [background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]BaltRochGirl ![/background]
If the year is normal when will the slopes open in Valle Nevado?

The weather and climate in Chile this year is not the average. Perhaps because of "el niño" there wasnt any rain for 7 months, and when at the beginning of April rained, all of a sudden were floodings in Santiago. The rain season for Santiago and Valle Nevado is winter. Follow forest and historical records for years with El Niño to have an idea about the calendar this year.

We are in Santiago for a conference at the beginning of June . And Mrs Glasgowjohn wants to do some skiing before or after . I dont want to be conned by going up to Valle Nevado to find snowless slopes . Trying to convince her that golf would be a better idea...

We are in Santiago for a conference at the beginning of June . And Mrs Glasgowjohn wants to do some skiing before or after . I dont want to be conned by going up to Valle Nevado to find snowless slopes . Trying to convince her that golf would be a better idea...

Check for snow conditions in Valle Nevado page with weather reports and VideoCams. Not open now 50 cm of snow?

http://www.vallenevado.com/en/

Back