Skiiing Advice - Better In Argentina Or Chile?

Fohan

Registered
So thinking about heading toward the Andes to get my Ski on. I'm thinking Las Lenas from Mendoza or heading to Santiago and doing some skiiing day trips.

Overall, prices in Santiago (for hotels etc.) seem a bit extortionate, so I'm wondering if people have any advice of decent cheap skiing options that side of the border?

Any advice on ski resorts as well would be much appreciated.

I found Ushuaia (Cerro Castor) nice. I can't compare it to Las Lenas or Chilean resorts because I never tried them. Compared to Austrian skiing resorts, of course, it is a joke (being Austrian, I might be biased though). Therefore I recommend to combine the trip with other Ushuaia activities (visiting the prison, boat tours, etc.) and a trip to El Calafate (Perito Moreno glacier). El Calafate is at a distance of 17hs by bus, so taking the plane is adviced. Either way, book in advance (I think back then, there were no daily flights and only 1-2 buses per day). During winter, El Calafate and the glacier are obviously very quiet (little tourists) and therefore much more enjoyable. Ushuaia was too quiet for me, but at least you get good prices at hotels. Unlike in Las Lenas o Bariloche, in Ushuaia winter means low season. Just wanting to give you one more option to evaluate. If you really want good skiing, nothing more, nothing less, it will not be your first choice. If you want an interesting mix though, at least put it on your shortlist :)

Some very general advise to close: Regarding skiing, I heard several times, that the west of the andes is better than the east (=chilean resorts beat argentine resorts) for reasons of climate. As explained, I have no first hand experience though. Regarding Ushuaia: Slopes are very icy. Abovementioned east/west-comparison does not apply any more so far down south and close to the sea. Ushuaia days a very short during winter.

Go to Portillo or Valle Nevado in Chile. Las Lenas is a good mountain but due to lack of investment (surprise surprise) the lifts and other infrastructure are terrible.

Valle Nevado and Portillo are at higher altitudes than Las Leñas, therefore better powder snow condition. Valle Nevado has more piste to choose...! Steep Slopes for advanced, like Roca Jack, For Social life nothing can beat Portillo, Ski teams from USA, Germany , Austria, Norway and other world teams book entire floors of the Portillo Hotel in July/August. The Hotel is self contained with outdoor pools, sauna, restaurants and Disco...!! The Portillo night is legendary.Take your pick,, take the elevator and you can entertain in your room.... its like a crucero del Amor...!

Good Luck

http://www.skiportillo.com/

arialhotel_1.jpg

http://www.google.co...Q9QEwAQ&dur=148

Well, living in ¨Patagonia gives me a good chance to answer this for you.
Largest ski ( not SKY) area in south america is and always has been at Bariloche, with its Cerro Catedral.largest amount of lifts , slopes and snow activities.
In the area sourrounding Bariloche you have other ski areas to as, Cerro Bayo in Villa La angostura at 1.5 hour and also La hoya at 2.5 hours trip.
You have an amount of diferent activities here that it will be imposible to detail.
This is the most important Snow vacational place in south america, with amounts of bars , pubs restaurants tours fishing hunting polo golf chocolates mushrooms fine fruits horseriding 4x4 tours birds watch... etc etc etc
trust me

cabañas are about 240$ pesos per pax a day and many many good hostels to stay. respectable and nice- full of europeans and americans

Well, living in ¨Patagonia gives me a good chance to answer this for you.
Largest ski ( not SKY) area in south america is and always has been at Bariloche, with its Cerro Catedral.largest amount of lifts , slopes and snow activities.
In the area sourrounding Bariloche you have other ski areas to as, Cerro Bayo in Villa La angostura at 1.5 hour and also La hoya at 2.5 hours trip.
You have an amount of diferent activities here that it will be imposible to detail.
This is the most important Snow vacational place in south america, with amounts of bars , pubs restaurants tours fishing hunting polo golf chocolates mushrooms fine fruits horseriding 4x4 tours birds watch... etc etc etc
trust me

The skiing at Catedral (Bariloche), Chapelco (San Martin de los Andes), etc is very mediocre and may be comparable to skiing on the east coast of the USA. Valle Nevado and Portillo are in an entirely different league and are nearly on the same level as resorts in the western USA and the European Alps.

The skiing at Catedral (Bariloche), Chapelco (San Martin de los Andes), etc is very mediocre and may be comparable to skiing on the east coast of the USA. Valle Nevado and Portillo are in an entirely different league and are nearly on the same level as resorts in the western USA and the European Alps.

Yes. This. I've skied 73 days (so far) between Argentina and Chile. Bariloche is ok if you want do to more "stuff" than skiing. Las Leñas is ok if all you want to do is ski (there is nothing else). The slopes are mediocre unless you make your way off-piste. Then you might find some interesting stuff. If you are a serious skier I might suggest getting to Portillo. Think Jackson Hole (without the Cowboy bars).

If you have access to a helicopter and know how to ski the steeps then me and one other person on this list (who will probably pop into this thread shortly) would be happy to guide you to some really nice drops south of Las Leñas. :)

Back