"Smash and Grab" and rising Palermo Soho Crime

citygirl said:
Um.. what major cities? I travel all over the world and BsAs is one of the *very* few places that I worry that much about being in a car on a major street in a very safe area.

It's quite logical the chorros target the supposed-to-be safe areas.
In fact I am quite close to think that an expat would be safer in a 2nd rank barrio (like Flores, Chacarita,...).
I stop by Palermo Soho about every 2 months or so (I live 50 kms north of Bs As in a poor village) and everytime I am amazed at the density of turists/expats there.

French jurist said:
& be poor ......

There is no way to tell if you keep your expensive belongings to yourself(jeweleries, watches, ipod, etc)

I do however that most crimes in BA are related to cars or homes

I understand why a thief targets tourist-heavy areas. My point however is that in most major cities in the world that I've been in, I don't worry about someone smashing in my car window and stealing my purse in the middle of a major street. Yes, I do put my purse underneath the seat when I'm in cars here. I don't do in a lot of other places because that type of crime just doesn't happen in most major cities.

citygirl said:
Um.. what major cities? I travel all over the world and BsAs is one of the *very* few places that I worry that much about being in a car on a major street in a very safe area.

This happened to a woman I know while driving in New York City. It's not only Buenos Aires!

bradlyhale said:
I bet she wasn't driving around Manhattan, though...

I really hope that you are not saying that Palermo Soho is the same as Manhattan...

In Los Angeles they would have car-jacked the woman........ taking her car and her purse!!!

But crimes are on the increase everyplace.. as bad times hit the world crime will increase!!! just be as careful and as safe as you can!!!

This doesn't happen as much in Texas.

But the concealed weapons law has something to do with that. The smash-n-grabber doesn't want to lose his life over a purse. Especially if they lady has a bumper sticker that says this:

DSCN2317.JPG

Moonwitch said:
Such an awful story. Have to say though you get that in most major cities. Such a horrible experience for the women though.
How come someone always says "It happens in MOST major cities" well, BS,......... I've lived in most major cities and have not seen the frequency and boldness with which these types of crimes are pertetrated in Buenos Aires. Nor have I ever seen the boldness with which house break-ins are executed.
These criminals no longer fear the police or any other form of authority.

Back