"Smash and Grab" and rising Palermo Soho Crime

NYKate said:
I hope you do go back to NY with an open mind and have a better experience. We are not all bad!! :)

What? Who cares what the idiot thinks about NYC?

bradlyhale, don't you listen to NYKate. NYC is a terrible damn place. It's outrageously expensive and filled with just awful people. Nice midwestern kid like you don't belong in a place like that. No, you got it right, good ol' hick Missouri's the place for you.

NYKate said:
It's a very large international city. It's a working city, not Disneyland (with the exception of the touristy areas). We have a very large influx of immigrants, one of the worlds best police forces and a population of almost 8.5 million. I have never been to a trailer park in Arkansas but I seriously doubt it holds one atom of culture that you can find in NYC (including the boroughs).
As for safety, it is very safe. I have not had any issues (knock on wood) in 32 years. Like any city I guess it's a matter of being "aware". I like that people are posting incidents on this board because it does make you more aware of what is going on around BsAs and the new tricks that these thugs are using.

As a side note, I am truly sorry that you do not like NYC. Maybe it is a cultural thing. (Yes, there are a lot of people who are still sad over 9-11 and others who have PTSD. Not good to talk to strangers about it in a bar. Also, no Ny'er likes flying out of JFK or Laguardia but thats mainly due to constant construction, security and the size of those airports. I hope you do go back to NY with an open mind and have a better experience. We are not all bad!!) :)

Personally, I see nothing wrong with talking about 9/11. Besides, it's not like I went up to the guy and asked him, "Hey, whaddya think about 9/11, buddy?" I told him what I was doing in the area, and he just started talking to me about it. Is talking to a stranger in a bar a New York No-No?

I'm sure many people would like for others to forget about it or not to talk about it, but I don't think the 3,000 people who died in New York City on 9/11 would want what happened to be forgotten or not discussed.

I agreed with you that it isn't all bad. It's just that my negative experiences have overwhelmed the positive ones. I'll chalk you up as being a positive experience. :D ha!

NYKate said:
It's a very large international city. It's a working city, not Disneyland (with the exception of the touristy areas). We have a very large influx of immigrants, one of the worlds best police forces and a population of almost 8.5 million. I have never been to a trailer park in Arkansas but I seriously doubt it holds one atom of culture that you can find in NYC (including the boroughs).
As for safety, it is very safe. I have not had any issues (knock on wood) in 32 years. Like any city I guess it's a matter of being "aware". I like that people are posting incidents on this board because it does make you more aware of what is going on around BsAs and the new tricks that these thugs are using.

As a side note, I am truly sorry that you do not like NYC. Maybe it is a cultural thing. (Yes, there are a lot of people who are still sad over 9-11 and others who have PTSD. Not good to talk to strangers about it in a bar. Also, no Ny'er likes flying out of JFK or Laguardia but thats mainly due to constant construction, security and the size of those airports. I hope you do go back to NY with an open mind and have a better experience. We are not all bad!!) :)

Its ok for you guys to trash Buenos Aires with you rascist comments like SSR and others but when someone says something slightly negative about your Beloved New York the knifes come out and the insults fly .

Leave Bradleyhale in peace

ssr said:
What? Who cares what the idiot thinks about NYC?

bradlyhale, don't you listen to NYKate. NYC is a terrible damn place. It's outrageously expensive and filled with just awful people. Nice midwestern kid like you don't belong in a place like that. No, you got it right, good ol' hick Missouri's the place for you.

You really love to prove a point, don't you?

bradlyhale said:
I agreed with you that it isn't all bad. It's just that my negative experiences have overwhelmed the positive ones. I'll chalk you up as being a positive experience. :D ha!

cool. ;)

Has anyone actually seen or experienced robberies etc on the streets during daylight or otherwise?

(I will be coming in March and moving in June (post wedding) and just wanted to thank everyone for posting on the site! It has been most helpful!)

cabrera said:
Its ok for you guys to trash Buenos Aires with you rascist comments like SSR and others but when someone says something slightly negative about your Beloved New York the knifes come out and the insults fly .

Leave Bradleyhale in peace

You need to find a spa and chill. I have never trashed BsAs. Nothing wrong with a little pride in your hometown. :)

NYKate said:
You need to find a spa and chill. I have never trashed BsAs. Nothing wrong with a little pride in your hometown. :)

I was not talking to you Proud New Yorker with you h..... up your a.... Maybe Buenos Aires is not for you as we say it like it is...:p

Recent Palermo SoHo crime anecdote: I just talked to an American woman who last week had her work(!) laptop stolen from under her typing hands while she was sitting at a streetside table at a cafe in SoHo, at corner of Thames & Charcas. Middle of the day. She was absorbed in her work, so she didn't see the perp come up. He yanked it and hopped onto the back of a waiting motorbike and was gone before she could stand up. She yelled for help, but nobody reacted (sounds like it was over in a flash anyway).

She of course feels stupid for making the "rookie mistake" of sitting exposed to the street with valuables.

bigmike said:
Recent Palermo SoHo crime anecdote: I just talked to an American woman who last week had her work(!) laptop stolen from under her typing hands while she was sitting at a streetside table at a cafe in SoHo, at corner of Thames & Charcas. Middle of the day. She was absorbed in her work, so she didn't see the perp come up. He yanked it and hopped onto the back of a waiting motorbike and was gone before she could stand up. She yelled for help, but nobody reacted (sounds like it was over in a flash anyway).

She of course feels stupid for making the "rookie mistake" of sitting exposed to the street with valuables.

I wouldn't even bring a laptop INTO a cafe, nevermind outside.

I passed a couple yesterday. They were sitting outside a cafe. She had a laptop open. He had what looked like a $2-3000 SLR camera sitting up on the table while he was burrowing through his backpack under the table. There was also an iPhone up on the table somewhere.

it's like seeing somebody driving with an unrestrained child in the front seat. You want to shake them and say "do you have any concept of what you are doing??"
:rolleyes:

That's atleast 10.000 peso of valuables, you need to rob atleast 100 people to get that amount :)

Back