So effing rude!

Celia said:
Nikad, the rules keep changing...my first son was allowed his other grandfather's name, but now the second one isn't.....this is because the jefe was in a bad mood the day I went, the woman under her had said yes but 10 minutes later it was suddenly no. My poor father who is nearly 90 and has been through chemotherapy has been told I am giving my son his name & they have changed the rules & my family are anxious for me to get out of the country after the gun attack...

I know things get sketchy, especially when a civil register officer decides to bend the rules for whatever reason, it makes you think that it will be fine next time. Thing is unless you run into the same person and he or she is in the same mood, chances of getting an exception get really slim. That is why you should never take these as the rule. I rather stick to the law and what it says, just so I can be on the safe side. The names list law has been there for many years and it has not been substantially changed. The only thing you can do is try to get the name in the list or somehow make it fit within one of the exception categories that are listed in the civil code. I hope some judge rules i your favor. sorry about your father. Maybe writing a letter to whomever is handling your case and adding a health certificate of your father softens him?

Any idea where I can find out what the civil code exception categories are?

Also check this out http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=138220 if i was you i would seriously consider going to a different office, preferably the one on Uruguay ;)

Si el nombre que quiero poner a mi hijo no existe, ¿puedo pedirlo?
Los que no aparezcan en la lista oficial de los autorizados y sean deseo de los padres, podrán solicitarlos y ponerlos a consideración de la Dirección General del Registro Civil, la que evaluará las posibles inclusiones.

Thanks for posting that Nikad. The one we went to was on Uruguay....well the article in La Nacion says they now accept foreign names but the other link from the registro says they don't!! Maybe they'll accept our embassy document, they were the ones who advised us to get it.

It is a matter of education making an effort....and the word effort is seldom used in these days, but it is only education and care about others, don´t worry we, locals don´t receive a better treatment unfortunately even speaking the best spanish!

Celia said:
Thanks for posting that Nikad. The one we went to was on Uruguay....well the article in La Nacion says they now accept foreign names but the other link from the registro says they don't!! Maybe they'll accept our embassy document, they were the ones who advised us to get it.
Well, the one on Uruguay is the central one. I would try to get a hold of a different officer there, or formally present a note to the Civil Register Director explaining what you want and why. If that doesn´t work, I would still try at a smaller civil register office. A last resource is to investigate whether the name you want to use has been approved at any other civil register say in the province of Buenos Aires, etc and get a note stating that ( if it has already been approved somewhere else, they generally approve it in the city as well ). If all of the above fails maybe you can get the name translated into Spanish, although this is not always possible, and then if you move back to the UK, you can get it changed into the English voice of it ( I have no idea if this is doable in the UK ).

Celia, do you intend for your child to grow up in Buenos Aires? You can always legally change their name in england when you get english passports, birth certificates etc. If you are set on a name, I wouldn't let the government's refusal to recognise it affect your decision. Your child will always be entitled to a british passport which bears the name of your choosing.

More info here: http://www.ukdps.co.uk/CanIChangeMyChildsName.html

Call centres are a scourge on society and a reflection on how much the company/provider values you as a customer. IE:zero.
Arnet is one of the worst I have come across in Arg and HSBC UK farmed all their calls out to Bombay or Calcutta. I'm not a racist by any means, but trying to understand an Indian speaking English ( a la Peter Sellers) can be challenging.
And getting back to Celia's original post, yes speaking Spanish on the dog and bone is for me challenging too. My Spanish is good, but I always but always take control of the conversation by first saying that I'm English and could they please speak slowly.
This usually works.

perry said:
I remember the same thing happenened to my mother in Australia who was refused that my given name be registered on my birth certificate as it was too wog sounding:)!
So what happened, Perry? What name did they put on your birth certificate? Did they just call you by the one they wanted despite this?

Back