So effing rude!

Thanks to some street construction I got "lost" in Bahia Blanca yesterday. I stopped and asked fpr directions from an old guy (about my age) who was working in the street on his battered old truck.

It had to be obvious to him that I was a foreigner and I certainly didn't understand everything he was saying. Fortunately, I understood when he asked me a donde va?

I said la ruta tres and he asked what my destination was. I gave him the name of the barrio/township/villa where live. He proceeded to give me some complicated directions that I think was the most direct route (short cut). I gave him that "I don't quite understand you" nod (with a squint) and he then told me how to get where I wanted using the most obvious route.

All I really understood was derecho, redondo, derecha y segundo redondo. At the first redondo (rotary) there was a sign with an arrow for the ruta tres. I had driven on this street once before on my way to Walmart. Getting home from there was a breeze.

I have yet to encounter even ONE Argentine here in the province that has shown the slightest animosity toward me as a foreigner, even after I tell them I'm from the EEUU (about 50% ask), but it's also possible that I'm the only native English speaker most of them ever met.

The workers at the registro here have always been very nice to me, too.

steveinbsas said:
Thanks to some street construction I got "lost"in Bahia Blanca yesterday. I stopped and asked fpr directions from an old guy (about my age) who was working in the street on his battered old truck.

It had to be obvious to him that I was a foreigner and I certainly didn't understand everything he was saying. Fortunately, I understood when he asked me a donde va?

I said la ruta tres and he asked what my destination was. I gave him the name of the barrio/township/villa where live. He proceeded to give me some complicated directions that I think was the most direct route (short cut). I gave him that "I don't quite understand you" nod (with a squint) and he then told me how to get where I wanted using the most obvious route.

All I really understood was derecho, redondo, derecha y segundo redondo. At the first redondo (rotary) there was a sign with an arrow for the ruta tres. I had driven on this street once before on my way to Walmart. Getting home from there was a breeze.

I have yet to encounter even ONE Argentine here in the province that has shown the slightest animosity toward me as a foreigner, even after I tell them I'm from the EEUU (about 50% ask), but it's also possible that I'm the only native English speaker most of them ever met.

rotary = rotonda ( not redondo ;) ) this might help next time.

nikad said:
rotary = rotonda ( not redondo ) this might help next time.

Thanks for the spelling correction.;)

Now that you mention it, I'm sure the viejo said rotonda. I never used either term, but I understood what he meant and followed his directions. Nonetheless, I have no doubt that I butchered the language when I was asking for his help.:rolleyes:

He was still very nice.:)

Whenever I make a telephone call or meet someone for the first time, the first thing I do is APOLOGIZE for speaking the language so poorly.:eek:

syngirl said:
Only the upper class ones that come with their money get treated well, but any that come via refugee status or through family reunification where their mother-tongue is not English, get treated like absolute crap by the majority of Brits.

There was a very good film made about 10 years ago called Dirty Pretty Things, about the lives of illegal immigrants in London. Highly recommended.

Anyway, in response to Celia's original post, all I can say is that the situation is universal. If they aren't trained teachers or accustomed to foreigners, the majority of native speakers -- whether it be in Argentina, the US, or yes, even in England -- aren't especially patient with or receptive to second-language learners. Why do you think so many adult English-language learners are afraid to try speaking English in "real life settings?" Because 8 times out of 10, the minute a grocery store clerk, pizza delivery guy, or AT&T operator hears a heavy accent and broken syntax, they assume communication isn't possible and shut down. As Tangobob said, the most uneducated and provincial are those least likely to understand any linguistic idiosyncrasies, or subsequently make an effort to negotiate meaning.

tangobob said:
You need to understand that it is the poorest educated and ignorant who cannot understand you.
In one restaurant the waiter ran off when he heard me speak, the next guy (who could just about manage good morning so was not fluent english) understood me perfectly, now he always gets our custom.
The same thing happens over and over, you just need to accept that it is a failing on their part and we cannot all understand one another.
Sure? How come it's a failing on THEIR part don't speaking YOUR FOREIGN language?
I would agree with you if it was a goverment office receptionist like the one stated on the first post, but not on the example you gave.

Once I went to buy styrofoam plates from a small shop run by an old & young man (likely father & son). I asked for the price then I said "Vendido !" like for saying "Sold !".

The two guys looked at me with such a face, they were not smiling at all and looked at each other, then looked at me again.

So I repeated, quite seriously "Vendido !". The shop was then very silent and I could guess something was going wrong.

After 90 seconds that semt an eternity, I repeated "Vendido" but explaining that I'm satisfied with the price, hence I would buy the product, which is why I said it's sold.

Then I realized that from the start, they thought I was saying "Bandido !"

lol...

Another one :
First month living in Argentina, not speaking a word of spanish. I go to a supermarket to buy eggs but couldn't find them. So I asked a clerk for "oeufs ?", then "eggs ?"... Well I tried and tried but the guy couldn't understand then I imitated the chicken even using sounds (cot cot codet !) and mimicking an egg coming out of my -oh well, you get it-.
I got my eggs !

steveinbsas said:
Thanks for the spelling correction.

Now that you mention it, I'm sure the viejo said rotonda. I never used either term, but I understood what he meant and followed his directions. Nonetheless, I have no doubt that I butchered the language when I was asking for his help.

He was still very nice.:)

Whenever I make a telephone call or meet someone for the first time, the first thing I do is APOLOGIZE for speaking the language so poorly.:eek:
My DH after 8 yrs does the same thing heheh ;)

French jurist said:
First month living in Argentina, not speaking a word of spanish. I go to a supermarket to buy eggs but couldn't find them. So I asked a clerk for "oeufs ?", then "eggs ?"... Well I tried and tried but the guy couldn't understand then I imitated the chicken even using sounds (cot cot codet !) and mimicking an egg coming out of my -oh well, you get it-.
I got my eggs !

Laid one,too.:p

After that performance you could eat the eggs alone and still enjoy a "ham and eggs" breakfast.:D

I don't know about english spoken chickens, but here chickens don't go cot cot codet :D

nikad said:
My DH after 8 yrs does the same thing heheh ;)

Please tell me that DH stands for something other than "dumb husband" (hahah).:D

(I hope it's dear, devoted, or darling.)

Back