So effing rude!

nikad said:
I still think that the neighborhood you live in seriously does not help at all.
You're right Nikad, it was a total mistake moving to this barrio, I thought it would improve and completely fell in love with the 1900's architecture....but we've been broken into twice, had our facade partly destroyed by arson, our windows repeatedly broken by yobs throwing stones, our 100 year old door knobs stolen, graffitti all year round, not to mention that the walls of our house double-up as weekend urinals.....maybe it's time to say goodbye.

Celia said:
You're right Nikad, it was a total mistake moving to this barrio, I thought it would improve and completely fell in love with the 1900's architecture....but we've been broken into twice, had our facade partly destroyed by arson, our windows repeatedly broken by yobs throwing stones, our 100 year old door knobs stolen, graffitti all year round, not to mention that the walls of our house double-up as weekend urinals.....maybe it's time to say goodbye.
That is such a shame! Well, that area was middle class average neighborhood some 20 years ago, nowadays between dealers, prostitution and thieves it certainly changed a lot. I do not let my son go to the area to take buses etc ( his father lives south out of the city ). There are many safer areas that are not Recoleta, Palermo, etc. Colegiales, Coghlan, some parts of Chacarita, Villa Devoto, Villa del Parque are nicer places to raise kids, quieter and safer. Definitely if you can change, I think you will feel relieved ;)

PabloAriel said:
Sure? How come it's a failing on THEIR part don't speaking YOUR FOREIGN language?
I would agree with you if it was a goverment office receptionist like the one stated on the first post, but not on the example you gave.

You misunderstand me, I was saying that they do not understand my Spanish not my English. I think those who are better educated understand better someone struggling with their language. Justa s here in the UK if you came with a foreign accent and try to get by in Glasgow or Liverpool only the better educated would understand or be understood by you.

tangobob said:
You misunderstand me, I was saying that they do not understand my Spanish not my English. I think those who are better educated understand better someone struggling with their language. Justa s here in the UK if you came with a foreign accent and try to get by in Glasgow or Liverpool only the better educated would understand or be understood by you.
My bad, sorry.

tangobob said:
even I struggle to understand scousers and scots,and I,m from Nottingham!!:confused:

I have to admit I sometimes struggle to understand my US husband, as he does me (UK) and what? is a frequent word in our vocab. Sometimes I give up and let him assume I understood. Uh-oh, he's reading this...

Celia said:
I have to admit I sometimes struggle to understand my US husband, as he does me
Is it because he becomes over excited and stumbles over his words ?:D

Celia said:
Migrant workers have continued to flow into the country ... , a report shows.

Celia,

I have some slightly bad news for you. Generally expats who have lived three years or so overseas, when they return to the UK find that they are not recognized as natives there either. A funny reverse culture shock appears. It also involves accents, and strange cultural adaptions, like how you deal with people on the phone. They look at you as though you speak funny. It also seems we have learned a kind of tolerance and intolerance that cannot be unlearned. So if you go back to the UK and the idioms that you hear on the coletivos or subte sound incredibly antiquated and stupid, it's because they are. The peculiar justifications for local customs will seem mind numbingly mindless. It's as though the search for meaning in the ridiculous in other cultures provides insights that apply just as easily to our own. All cultures are full of ridiculous local stuff. The trick is to be entertained by it rather than frustrated. Sure the curry will taste like curry, the sewers will smell like sewers, and the tabloids will continue to claim every election season that all the jobs have been taken again by more foreigners. They've been taking all the jobs for several centuries now. Must be the new old tabloid math. Sorry and all that.

Amazing how everyone thinks they have carte blanche to slag off the English, yet freaks out at the faintest criticism of something pertaining to an Argentine.....from the comments I've heard about condom sizes in this country, I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of you suffer from small man syndrome...

Back