So I Tried To Get A Dni...

I see people still expecting to get 50-100 ARS/h as a teacher here and I chuckle.

I make ~32 ARS/h and that's "good" for here. I tell people who say they're thinking
of coming here to expect to make around $500 USD a month, I make a bit over $600
right now, so if you're thinking of coming here so you can save up to travel around
South America then you're sadly mistaken. After flights, fees and other bills you'll
be lucky to not end up worse then when you left.

All said and done I'd rather teach English yes, but I make more money and have
guaranteed income which is more valuable, even if the work isn't as nice.

I see people still expecting to get 50-100 ARS/h as a teacher here and I chuckle.

I make ~32 ARS/h and that's "good" for here.

Honestly, that's LESS than what I pay my maid and she has no education and is completely illiterate. I think you're being underpaid. Most argentines I know would consider private english classes with a native speaker for $50 pesos to be a complete bargain. Hell one of my (argentine) friends is paying 100/hr to an acquaintance for computer programing lessons and thinks it's a great deal.

My roommate was making $70/hr teaching 'business english' and that was 3 years ago and he didn't have any english teaching experience at all.

NOTE to all prospective English teachers out there: I'm not saying that you can come to Buenos Aires with no apreciable skills and live the life of kings. So please get rid of that illusion. The truth is far far from it even if it is slightly less grim than ARbound's post may have made it out to be.

I make ~32 ARS/h and that's "good" for here. I tell people who say they're thinking
of coming here to expect to make around $500 USD a month, I make a bit over $600
right now, so if you're thinking of coming here so you can save up to travel around
South America then you're sadly mistaken. After flights, fees and other bills you'll
be lucky to not end up worse then when you left.

All said and done I'd rather teach English yes, but I make more money and have
guaranteed income which is more valuable, even if the work isn't as nice.

Hi,

Dude, seriuosly, even a cartonero makes more than that nowdays. Get another job.

Cheers!

Arbound - you have a salaried job right? So are you taking your monthly salary and then dividing it by the hours? From your post, sounds like you make about $6000 a month which is a reasonable starting salary for entry level type work (and I think you just graduated if I'm not mistaken).

Hourly wages are high b/c people don't work a full week. Yes, a private English teach charges $100 pesos an hour. Said teacher however probably has at least an hour of unpaid commute (there/back) + the cost of materials, etc. So really, it's probably about $90 pesos for 2 hours. A lot less appealing ;)

the above is for "san-boy".Seems one has touched a nerve in some of the fragile fraternity on here.Maybe you understand some English language but not our
fantastic sarcastichumour,oh well take a day off do yourself a favour.Mick's and Taff's are just Jocks with their brains removed....jesting of course??

Back