So I'm at Ezeiza with US$25,000

el_expatriado said:
If you send me a PM, I will put you in touch with someone who can wire out $15K of your funds. You can then leave EZE with just $10K.

That's going to be easier than risking it at the airport, don't you think?

My cueva told me the rate for wiring out of the country is 7%. Is this an accurate figure?

GS_Dirtboy said:
My cueva told me the rate for wiring out of the country is 7%. Is this an accurate figure?

It could be. Wiring money out via cueva was at 5% a couple months ago. With all that's happening since, 7% is not out of the realm of possibility.

Yes, that is a fair price. I know someone who can get it done for 5%, though. Send me a PM if you want the contact.

i agree that you might have more issues bringing it into the UK than taking it out of Arg.

for those waiting for an outcome, it was only a hypothetical question :)

(might not be so hypothetical when I leave but that's a long way off)

esllou said:
...and I'm supposed to declare it.

I tell the nice customs guy "hey, jose, I have 25,000 dollars under my wooly hat".

Now what's going to happen to me as a UK citizen at that point? Once you've declared you're carrying over the 10k limit, what happens?

My guess is that they'll want to know the source of the money; is it from property sales, etc.

If I play dumb and say "I saved it", etc, could/would they actually confiscate it?

has anyone ever declared excess dollars when leaving the country?

(I realise declaring dollars at ezeiza is right up there with what bruce willis did at start of Die Hard 3 in Harlem)

Sitting in Ezeiza awaiting the 5pm Air France flight in the "new" terminal C. So quiet, VERY lax security ie no need to remove laptop from bag, shoes or jacket, no pat down...dan, even tax free was an asbolute 2 min doddle...getting the 25k out of the country would be a breeze from here...whether getting it into another country that's another question...

Well, it may be a "breeze", but if its not and suddenly the money does get found I suspect it will all be confiscated .... and you may or may not be charged, but if you are you probably won´t be able to leave on your chosen flight.

Do you feel lucky?

el_expatriado said:
Yes, that is a fair price. I know someone who can get it done for 5%, though. Send me a PM if you want the contact.

El_expatriado is giving out contacts now! I emailed before and you wouldn't give me one. :-(

For the OP: I think they will tax it, probably something like 20 or 30%, but you'd have to talk to a lawyer or find some reference to it on the immigration (?) site. My recommendation would be to not declare and if they catch you just bribe your way out of it. That, of course, could be difficult as they could scare you into demanding a whole lot of money... So, after reevaluating the possibilities, I'm taking back my advice to bet on bribing your way out, but if it were me I would still just strap it to me and take the advice of George Jung (or some writer) and think of anything else while walking through the airport loaded with cash. :cool:

But if you really, really want to know what the consequences would be, I suggest you speak with a lawyer.

tez said:
El_expatriado is giving out contacts now! I emailed before and you wouldn't give me one. :-(

Tez, I just sent you a PM with the contact. Don't feel bad. :)

Reactions: tez
Back