So I'm at Ezeiza with US$25,000

I have brought in $9,000 more than once and just didn't say anything. I think it is $10,000 everywhere and came in with that assumption. 'Course they didn't have dollar sniffing dogs either. I'm not giving advice, just passing on information. Never brought more, but they didn't know I had that 'cause I didn't tell them.

Arlean - you don't have to tell them if it is less than 10K. Even if they had searched you for other reasons and found the money, anything under 10K USD doesn't need to be declared and there are no penalties for carrying it.

Anything over 10K must legally be declared in pretty much every country in an attempt to combat money laundering and other bad things like funding renegade groups.

The OP's scenario of 25K obviously would fall in that category.

If found with undeclared monies, exceeding 10K, the customs agents can (and will in the US anyway) seize the entire amount.

If it were me, I would either be taking multiple trips, traveling with 2 trusted friends or paying the fee to get it wired out of the country. Losing 6 or 7% is a lot better than potentially losing all of it

citygirl said:
If it were me, I would either be taking multiple trips, traveling with 2 trusted friends or paying the fee to get it wired out of the country. Losing 6 or 7% is a lot better than potentially losing all of it

I agree. I wasn't sure about the cost of wiring it (or even if it had to be done black market style, which it sounds as if it does) but 6/7% is acceptable.

LostinBA said:
It could be. Wiring money out via cueva was at 5% a couple months ago. With all that's happening since, 7% is not out of the realm of possibility.

Even 5% is way over priced!! My agent does it for much less. Message me.

For the first time ever a US immigration official asked me HOW MUCH I had in cash when I entered the US recently. I was surprised. An American friend had the same experience. He answered "I have nothing to declare" which was the truth as he was carrying something like $9,500 -- under the $10,000 + amount that requires a declaration. The official was aggressive and insisted on knowing how much the American friend had but the American friend refused to say, protesting that it was not a sum that had to be declared. He is now trying to get the ACLU to take his case to court on the grounds of harassment and violation of civil rights.

citygirl said:
Anything over 10K must legally be declared in pretty much every country in an attempt to combat money laundering and other bad things like funding renegade groups.

Yes, HSBC has the rights for that business!

sergio said:
For the first time ever a US immigration official asked me HOW MUCH I had in cash when I entered the US recently. I was surprised. An American friend had the same experience. He answered "I have nothing to declare" which was the truth as he was carrying something like $9,500 -- under the $10,000 + amount that requires a declaration. The official was aggressive and insisted on knowing how much the American friend had but the American friend refused to say, protesting that it was not a sum that had to be declared. He is now trying to get the ACLU to take his case to court on the grounds of harassment and violation of civil rights.

Geez, drama queen much? :rolleyes: Coming in through Miami, questions about cash are quite standard. The Argentine tourists always say something like ¨$3,000¨ and are nodded on through. I´ve been questioned upon returning, and once at MIA security when the TSA chick felt the bulge in my money belt (she just asked,¨what do you have in there? Money?¨) The overzealous peons at immigration are a nuisance, but probably not worth going to court over.

And getting back to the original question -- I flew out of Terminal C at 1pm on Tuesday. I have never seen such an empty terminal or experienced such lax check-in procedures. There was literally no one in either the security or immigration line when I arrived (they were standing around chatting, and one offered me some of his chocolate bar as the other looked at my passport.) Like fifs2 said, no one asked me to remove my laptop, shoes, or hoodie. My patdown consisted of a few light touches on my arms, ribcage, and legs (the girl didn´t even touch my belly area, where I was carrying cash in my money belt. I could have had $30,000 in there and sailed on through.) I´m not advocating carrying illegal amounts of cash, but there are definitely no dogs or aggressive measures in place.

There's an illegal amount of cash? I thought you could carry anything, and if it was above 10K you had to declare but still not illegal.

The American friend who objected to being asked exactly how much money he had believes that the US Constitution is being violated by such intrusive questions. Over $10,000 must be declared, not less. He saw no need for the interrogation. As I recall, when he complained about the way he was being treated one of the officials said "That's what happens when you leave the US". My friend's position, from what I gather, is that Homeland Security etc have too much power and are invading basic human rights by some of their unnecessary actions.

Back