so, I'm thinking of not bothering with colonia

esllou

Registered
I'm due to go on a renewal run before the 18th...another 250 spent in ferry fares and a nice lunch on the cobbled streets.

If I didn't bother going and just decided to coast it until I finally leave, would I get into trouble if, for example, the police asked me for my passport at any time and discovered I was "an illegal"??

I know I can just pay at the airport so it's really the possible problems I might have before getting to the airport that concern me.

DON'T WORRY!

I rarely carry my passport with me...just a photocopy, and I've never been asked by the police to show it.

Even when I went to the comisaria (police station) last June to make a report regarding an attempted break in of my apartment (required by my insurance company to pay for the damage to the door) , I only provided a folded photocopy of my passport and the officer never looked at the other side to see the stamp, even after asking how long I had been in Argentina (three years).

The police do not care about your immigration status. Even if they said something, all you would have to do is smile and say, "I know I am going to have to pay a fine when I leave."

They will probably return the smile.

Since i have a vehicule, i m thinking about just crossing the border north of Buenos Aires by road with Uruguay.

Anybody knows how far is the closest border at the mouth of the Plata river?

I should be the cheapest option i guess...

I was going to do that this weekend, but after going over the numbers (hotel, travel, hassle, etc) it's easier to pay the 300 pesos.

if I did this, would it effect my chances of re-entering argentina in the future??

esllou said:
if I did this, would it effect my chances of re-entering argentina in the future??

from what i have been told, it's not really an issue, and tourism is their bread and butter here so I don't think they want to ruin that.

Though none of my business, but since you asked: dumb thinking. In one heart beat the Government could decide to come down hard on overstaying your welcome. Increase the fines or much worse. Personally, would not give them any reason to screw with me or get my name into their system for some nickel-dime offense. Not this Gringo. Play it by the numbers.

dennisr said:
Though none of my business, but since you asked: dumb thinking. In one heart beat the Government could decide to come down hard on overstaying your welcome. Increase the fines or much worse. Personally, would not give them any reason to screw with me or get my name into their system for some nickel-dime offense. Not this Gringo. Play it by the numbers.

Paying the fine is playing by the numbers, literally. The fines were already increased earlier this year from $50 to $300 pesos and no one will scold you at migraciones when you pay. It's apparently a nice source of revenue and the lines of those waiting to pay can be long. No one will call you a gringo(a) here, either.

Since i have a vehicule, i m thinking about just crossing the border north of Buenos Aires by road with Uruguay.
If you can wait to do it in Jan. or Feb. you could take in Carnival in Gualeguaychu. You can get tickets at the door and dont need to get them at the posted link, (its just for info). It is about a 4 hr car ride and is at the border. Im not sure what the total cost would be. There are several cheap hotels there to stay overnight as well.
http://www.ticketek.com.ar/Teatro/Musical/CARNAVAL-DE-GUALEGUAYCHU__CARNAVAL10

Back