So, Price Controls. When Will We Begin To See Shortages?

When will shortages start to appear in supermarkets?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • 1 month

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 2 months

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Never. Cristina will solve the inflation problem with price controls.

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
It depends what kind of shortage we are talking about.

Fruits, meat, rice, pasta, locally produced products, washing powder (Ala, etc.), water, etc. won't be affected by shortages in my opinion.

More specific products (talking just about the French ones: Bonduelle vegetables, Maille mustard, Roquefort, Camembert Président, etc.) could indeed be affected.

Really? I've noticed over the time I've been here that the imported products seem to be significantly less affected by inflation than locally produced products; I would assume that would mean more normal reordering in a price controlled environment.

For example Grey Poupon dijon mustard (okay okay, "dijon style" :p ) has gone from about 23 pesos to 28 pesos on the shelves of my local coto in 3 years where as I've seen quilmes go from 3.70 to almost 9 in the same period.

Interestingly enough, on the radio this morning, they were discussing there are already shortages. Which seems very quick to me but perhaps the smaller supermarkets are already feeling the impact? And perhaps the media is enjoying the story ;)

Regardless, I'll be stocking up on the essentials today since we go through a lot of food feeding as many people as we do!

Just to clarify, because it's driving me nuts -- the price controls are set for 60 days = 2 months, not 3 months as some keep saying. 3mos would be 90days. Prices are to be controlled until start of April, not end.

Interestingly enough, on the radio this morning, they were discussing there are already shortages. Which seems very quick to me but perhaps the smaller supermarkets are already feeling the impact? And perhaps the media is enjoying the story ;)

Regardless, I'll be stocking up on the essentials today since we go through a lot of food feeding as many people as we do!

Jaja just media doing their show to sell, give more impact to say something like that now that the news are fresh, shortage before the controls really take impact lol. And very few or none small supermarket took the measure, You should know better that you can't trust in what the government say and neither in the media in this country, specially when the new is clearly sensationalist :p

Secretary of Commerce, Moreno forbade supermarkets to advertise prices and ofertas on week ends , in local media Clarin, Nacion , etc in Capital . Consumers will not be able to be informed of February frozen price levels, or find out about Ofertas...?? :eek:

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Moreno-super-publicidad-diarios-TV_0_861513883.html

"....Sin publicidad, al consumidor le será imposible enterarse de cuáles son los precios congelados; será imposible saber si alguna cadena de supermercados ofrece una oferta especial; no será posible acceder a la información cabal y cierta sobre los precios de Capital y Gran Buenos Aires...." :cool:

Today I was at Jumbo, to find Costena produtcs and Gold Fish. The check out lines were unreal. People were buying Costco loads of everything from CocaCola, to dish washing liquid, to ready to eat greens to freeze, etc. A lady in front of me with three full carts still complained that the store had no variety and was poorly stocked... Imagine if the store was well stocked?! This is a self-fulfilling prophecy, to a degree. Based on this short term consumption spike, there will be shortages.

Suppose fishes and loaves would be the order for citygirl with all those mouths to feed.

Lunch for 14 ppl every day - I could use them ;)

Went to Carrefour by me today and I have never seen lines like it. Cashier told me it was averaging an hour plus wait in line. I turned around and left. I'm going to try Makro in a bit, that's usually less chaotic.

Yesterday we noticed that the prices were higher on some items than last week, which leaves me to think that they saw this coming.

Perhaps Moyano will call for a truckers strike so shelves will be really empty ....!!!

Back