So this is that famous inflation yall been talking about

just returned to the USA from my two week vacation.i paid 2 years back property taxes, 1 year building expenses, replaced the hot water heater, fix the washer dryer, lunches out, groceries, wine, 12 dollar ride to the airport. there were two us all for 1,200 dollars. that was the cheapest vacation in along time. cant wait to come back. the paper work for passage was cumbersome. took the free antigen test and back it up with a lab pcr. one of the public tests never came back. used the lab results to leave. great time great people. flow for cable sucks. i needed to constantly reset it

just returned to the USA from my two week vacation.i paid 2 years back property taxes, 1 year building expenses, replaced the hot water heater, fix the washer dryer, lunches out, groceries, wine, 12 dollar ride to the airport. there were two us all for 1,200 dollars. that was the cheapest vacation in along time. cant wait to come back. the paper work for passage was cumbersome. took the free antigen test and back it up with a lab pcr. one of the public tests never came back. used the lab results to leave. great time great people. flow for cable sucks. i needed to constantly reset it
Yeah, Flow is an irritant. I have to frequently disconnect the cable to the box and connect again. That can solve whatever might be ailing for awhile until I have to do it again. OTOH it is dirt cheap compared to something similar in the states.

johnny, got golf, espn, bbc, fox, cnn, cnn de espanol. cant complain. all in english. sometimes you nust need a break from spanish.

It appears to be working the opposite way lol. Prices up and exchange rates down compared to when I arrived. Let's see if they rebound.

Yes, indeed, there are periods of adjustment, generally a few months, but then it's usually compensated with periods where things are again massively cheap. Devaluations here are almost never gradual - it's usually one big shock and then it's quiet for a few months or a year.

Anybody want to explain what this is all about?
I translated it to English, but it's still greek to me...

This refers to restrictions imposed back in December to the dólar MEP or "bolsa", which is a legal way of acquiring dollars through a transaction involving dollar-denominated securities. The government had imposed a limit a few months ago when all the different "dollars" were going up and the Central Bank had to intervene, which meant their reserves were draining.

You should take into account that Página 12 is extremely pro-government (it's basically a pamphlet), and that is why this article reads as extremely good news. But it's simply the removal of restrictions that affect few people and companies, and which the government themselves imposed 3 months ago. Here is a more nuanced view of the same news (although La Nación is also a pamphlet, just on the opposite side).

There are rumours, though, that the government is planning to match the official rate to the blue/MEP/etc. rates, or to get them as close to each other as possible (this doesn't mean that the blue rate will go down, but that the official rate will go up, so as to close the gap).

Bottom line is that the “brecha” between the official and parallel rates is going to keep reducing - according to some to around 50% (vs. 80% today and 100%+ recently) in absence of any devaluation far beyond monthly inflation or the official.

The government have consistently denied they would do a shock devaluation of the official (as was done under CFK in the past) to obliterate the brecha and people’s spending power in the process, but this is Argentina and anything is possible. As in the not too distant past, when the brecha gets small enough there becomes no point talking about WU or Cuevas if you have access to foreign plastic, we will all be in the same boat when it comes to feeling inflation!

if you havent noticed many menus have prices written in pencil. this is why
Arg loves the new qr code menu trend because they can just update the prices more cleanly and frequently. And they dont risk having an old menu floating with old prices on it. I can't stand qr code menus no matter what country it is.

If you're going to make qr code menus then go one step further and allow me to order from the website without having to speak to a waiter. Nothing like waiting forever for one to magically feel like providing some flavor of customer service. Hard to stop chatting with your friends and do your job for once. I even prefer the Japanese style where they do not arrive unless you press the button at the table.

If any restaurant ever presents me with a QR code menu, I will stand up and walk out. That is total BS.

Back