Social Unrest And Looting In Bariloche...

I have a flight to Bariloche for a 2 week vacation tomorrow morning! How bad do you think it's going to be? Should I consider not going?
Or fly in and try to go to Villa La Angostura or similar instead?

I think the situation will be a lot better tomorrow with 400 Gendameria arriving tonight. Who wants to riot when you have a pantry full or free food and you can watch TV on your new HD TV?! There has been no effect in the centre except for shops closing as a precaution...

People, businesses not paying taxes steal a lot more

Really?? You are going to throw out that argument for this situation? I was not aware of all of these large companies going into AFIPs headquarters, and forcibly taking money from the coffers...

And seriously, just denounce this Almacen that you always complain about, the AFIP will audit, god knows they need the money, since all the big corporations are just stealing truckloads from their coffers... And hopefully these people will decide to do business the right way, and employ people on the books, with insurance and all. If they don't the Almacen will close, and another person, willing to play by the rules, will take their place.

Also, please finish your argument of how the media reporting this story is somehow racist? I agree the people in the comments are espousing some very ugly, and quite frankly, ignorant view points. However I fail to see how the fact that the media is reporting this story is inherently racist. It is news, its what these companies exist to do. I expect when Berni vocalizes who the responsables are (as he already mentioned he knew) the media will report on this.

I found this statement from Intendente Goye from the link presented in the Bariloche2000 above, a bit interesting:

En diálogo con Radio Seis, Goye informó que se reunirá con el ministerio del Interior Florencio Randazzo para solicitar algún tipo de intervención de las fuerzas federales en el territorio. Al mismo tiempo, adjudicó los hechos a cuestiones que no tienen que ver con una necesidad social genuina. Si bien reconoció que "había rumores -no desde el viernes sino- desde hace mucho tiempo" sostuvo que no se trataba de información sobre saqueos sino sobre "reclamos de alimentos" para las fiestas.

"Por eso estuvimos trantado
[sic] de hacer la contención con la antelación suficiente pensando que la necesidad era alimentaria. Pero está claro que la intención es otra, de grupos radicalizados, con una ideología extrema que han provocado los desmanes que vimos todos. Nunca tuvimos la información de los saqueos, sí la del reclamo de canastas alimentarias. Cuando hay una situación que se rumorea hay que trabajarla y nosotros hicimos eso preventivamente", expresó.

In the first paragraph, it says Goye met with the minister of the interior Randazzo and asked for some type of federal intervention in the region. Then it says that he feels the facts (or events?) in question have nothing to do with a "genuine social need." He recognized there were rumors (but not since Friday!) for awhile that didn't have anything to do with looting, but rather about food complaints (or claims) for the "fiestas" (holidays I reckon).

Second paragraph he says that they were trying to do a containment or restraint with enough foresight, thinking that the necessity was food-related. He says it's clear that the intention [of the looters] is something else, from radical groups with an extreme ideology that has provoked the excesses that we all live. They never had information about looting, but they did have information about "food basket" complaints. He finishes with saying that when there's a rumored situation you have to work it and they did that preventatively.

What interests me is him saying these riots were provoked by radical groups. They apparently knew about unrest, and he says they were working to prevent issues, but I wonder what they did? Are they trying to take the possible normal unrest created by unhappy and worried poor folk and pin it on people who are against the government? He seems to be saying that whatever caused this, it wasn't something legitimate, such as lack of work, money and food, but rather due to these radical groups, who conveniently remain unnamed.

I also find it interesting that he was in Buenos Aires before the riots started, asking for federal intervention (if I'm reading it correctly).

In a previous paragraph (not shown above) it says that the intendente confirmed that there were rumors of looting to come when he asked the supermarkets, days before, to deliver 4000 food baskets at 500 pesos apiece. The statement is a bit loosely worded (to me), so I'm not sure exactly what this means. It seems to be saying the act of asking for the baskets from the supers was the act of confirmation itself, doesn't meantion that he came right out and said it. Yet either way, in his statement I note above, he says there were no rumors of actual looting, just some complaints.

They knew this was coming, seems to me. I don't know what they knew and what they thought, nor if anything happened with the food baskets, but something was up before this broke today. And his response at the time didn't seem to have anything to do with radical groups espousing extreme ideology...nor did the events that actually seemed to occur today.

I don't know, maybe I've got this all wrong. I have to admit that sometimes I understand the words, but the meanings seem to be obfuscated by a round-about way of speaking.

As far as going to Bariloche as a tourist - probably nothing would happen, but never be sure that you won't be caught up in something. I wouldn't plan on going unless it was fairly important to me.

Under the guidance of her whimsical majesty the Red Queen, (as in "Off with their heads!") Argentina is fast becoming just another Venezuelanized third world shit-hole. I have no use for it. Cost benefit analysis impelled me to get out for good about 5 months ago.

In my opinion the roots of all these problems throughout the S.A. continent (which express themselves with especial virulence in Argentina) are deep in the hispanic culture with it's endemic and intractable agression, predation, recklessness, selfishness and dishonesty. I suspect 800 years of Islamic conquest througout Iberia had some influence as well. As a result Spanish and Portugese Christianity and secular culture had to have become shifted toward the norms of middle ages Islam which encouraged conversion by violence and deception sanctioned by God. That would explain a lot about the church-sanctioned violence and exploitation that is the history of the "new world" and it's chaotic legacy that we can observe every day.

The Argentines (Porteños anyway) with their anachronistic obsession with the benefits of Freudian analysis and their compulsive pseudo-intellectual attachment to internationally discredited neo-Marxian theory in addition to all their other aforementioned cultural baggage are prime examples of their inherited tendency toward dysfunction. Some of the worst on the continent in my experience. That's why I'm gone for good.

Puerto Rico is quite pleasant, though. Delightful blend of the Latin and the U.S. American. Amazingly clean, orderly, respectful and considerate for a latin country. More than any other I've visted and I've seen them all from the Mexican border to Tierras del Fuego. Despite all their fiery rhetoric and the many mistakes the U.S. has surely made more of South America would do well to consider a close alliance with the U.S. I suspect It would civilize them substantially.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In my opinion the roots of all these problems throughout the S.A. continent (which express themselves with especial virulence in Argentina) are deep in the hispanic culture with it's endemic and intractable agression, predation, recklessness, selfishness and dishonesty. I suspect 800 years of Islamic conquest througout Iberia had some influence as well.[/background]

wow i can't believe i'm reading this. speaking of dysfunctional......

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Puerto Rico is quite pleasant, though. Delightful blend of the Latin and the U.S. American. Amazingly clean, orderly, respectful and considerate for a latin country.[/background]

PR has a huge (HUGE) crime problem. people get robbed and mugged right and left. just last week a PR artist friend of mine was beaten unconscious for his I-phone, and not for the first time.

the combination of arrogance and ignorance of this poster is mind blowing....no country needs expats like this one.

Really?? You are going to throw out that argument for this situation? I was not aware of all of these large companies going into AFIPs headquarters, and forcibly taking money from the coffers...

And seriously, just denounce this Almacen that you always complain about, the AFIP will audit, god knows they need the money, since all the big corporations are just stealing truckloads from their coffers... And hopefully these people will decide to do business the right way, and employ people on the books, with insurance and all. If they don't the Almacen will close, and another person, willing to play by the rules, will take their place.

Also, please finish your argument of how the media reporting this story is somehow racist? I agree the people in the comments are espousing some very ugly, and quite frankly, ignorant view points. However I fail to see how the fact that the media is reporting this story is inherently racist. It is news, its what these companies exist to do. I expect when Berni vocalizes who the responsables are (as he already mentioned he knew) the media will report on this.

Well, at least indirectly those newspaper articles favour racism (lack of distance/perspective).
It's also quite irresponsible for the medias to report those lootings, that's a dilemma I know, but it's like a self-feeding phenomenon (other poor people see those on TV & will do the same). There was a similar phenomenon in France with car burnings ( http://www.time.com/...69392,00.html��)

Second part of my post (To the WEBMASTER -> everytime a link is placed in a post, the text that follows disappears)

and the medias would report those, then those burnings would appear all across France. Finally a gentleman's agreement was found between the medias & the government (to hide a bit more those burnings) and it worked out, at least a bit.

As for AFIP and such... Well, stealing is stealing, whether you rob a supermarket or you do it by not paying taxes.
That's a vicious circle (people justify not paying taxes by saying "I don't want my money to go to social plans or get stolen by corruption" and will at the same time criticize the "neg**s de mie*da" who steal electronics or such... That's one aspect of the divide I'm referring to).

I'm condemning those lootings of course but the medias, in this case, are playing a role they shouldn't play (dilemma above: to talk or not about those lootings) while they are not playing a role they should (to inform is not just showing explicit pictures, it should also be about providing a deeper understanding, etc.)

you are a sick puppie
Maybe am one sick puppie and label me whatever you wish. What I do know is when the looting starts and the thin blue line looses control, mob rule is on the horizon. Want something more than my dick in my hand to defend myself and family. When the mob is trying to break down your door to rape and pillage, dial 911 and see what it gets you. Think it is naive to think it could not happen. Remember the roving looters in Los Angeles after the Northridge earthquake. Crazy time, was doing the block watch thing with a shotgun. No lights, no nothing except looters roving around looking for easy pickings. Am no Rambo, just one sick F.... I guess.

I'm not so sure looting requires a deeper understanding - esp in the case where the looters are stealing electronics, etc. A bunch of people hijack a truck filled with bread to feed their children/themselves b/c they can't afford to & haven't been paid - okay, that's a story that requires/mandates a full picture.

A bunch of people that steal flat screen tvs b/c they couldn't otherwise afford them - sorry, there is no mitigating circumstance that explains/justifies that.

Inre taxes - I don't disagree. As someone who managed a business that paid every single tax (and there were 2828182738 of them here), it would have been nice to see a level playing field with other people feeling the same pain.

HOWEVER, there needs to be some adjustments to the tax system here before that will happen. I know of several small businesses that would need to shut down if they paid everything in blanco. Literally, couldn't afford to have employees. They do everything possible to make it up to the employees (paying double on feriados, bonuses, paid holiday/sick time, etc, etc) but they simply can't afford to pay the 50% tax on each of those employees to the gov't + the payroll taxes +, +, +. What is the solution? Do it by the book and fire employees and/or don't grow the business b/c you can't afford it? Or do it off the books and do what you can? Don't know really.

Back