Social Unrest And Looting In Bariloche...

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Makes one wish they had a few guns around the house just in case things get out of hand. Seventy dollar SKS would do the job, however, no guns allowed.[/background]

you are a sick puppie

All politically orchestrated. Same shit tried to happen at Dot (BsAs) on 7D - guys apparently didn't get the memo-, other day at Obelisco and Casa de Tucuman - downtown - all samo-samo.

Call it Shape of Things to Come or Season Funnies.

The government snatched The Rural while everybody was looking the other way, rumors of Fragata Libertad being renamed after Evita, lot's of confusing non related local news, mostly upsetting, disturbing. Public transportation also skyrocketed while you were picking your nose.

SSDD.

Don't drink the Kool Aid yet, I'm playing online with a guy in the UK - already 12.21.12 and his connection dropped just as the clock hit midnight - LOL - but he's back online.

On the "Chango" supermarket, there's a sign appearing in the pics.

It's written something like "Pagas menos, Llevas mas"... Was quite funny (except for the owners) to watch with the mob in front.

But, this treatment by the medias is somehow racist (you can imagine the "negros de m..." or the “mira como roban LCDs estos HDP” comments all across the country... Another form of mass hysteria after all).
People, businesses not paying taxes steal a lot more (always taking the example of the almacen at the entrance of my barrio: they have a monotributo and sell for more than an average 5000$ everyday=yearly loss of likely 400.000$ for Argentina in taxes, IVA, etc. --> that's far less graphical but much worst).

Why not using guns… But then, what should be done with the many non-tax-payers here. A shot in the head straight (after all following the exact same logic)?

To sum it up, I don’t like the media treatment of it. If only medias could put things in perspective, that would help diminish the kind of social divide in Argentinean society, at least in minds.

Makes one wish they had a few guns around the house just in case things get out of hand. Seventy dollar SKS would do the job, however, no guns allowed.

I do not aprove of this comment.
But you can own an SKS as long as the mag is not removable and is welded to the rifle, I believe.
Definitely not a U$D 70 deal down here.
Ammo is prohibitive.

Why not using guns…

Guns were not permitted in this situation and the looters knew this, it follows this incident: http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Bariloche-represion-Diego_Bonnefoi-policia_procesado-gatillo_facil_0_286171556.html

Image of the mob (very talented shot... "pagas menos, llevas mas" can be seen in the distance).
The media would sell less if a tax delinquent was shown.
Saqueos-Bariloche-Trilse-Reyes_CLAIMA20121220_0143_29.jpg

That's a société du spectacle according to me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Society_of_the_Spectacle

Such events happen quite often in Argentina (even in the small village nearby my house).

Bear in mind this is not first-hand reporting but friends have been reporting to me for a long time land being taken over there (squatters) and private property not being enforced by the police. They've sent me quite a few articles whenever there is an incident there. This isn't all new.

One has a friend there who was building a hotel and it has been taken over and she cannot get the people off. He wrote me lately he thinks she's just going to lose her investment. Now they took over the city park in Villa la Angostura. I have long been interested in Bariloche for the future--lived there at one time, but I continue to be warned. I guess if there are more of them than there are of you, and you can't shoot them, then you just lose whatever they want. That's how it seems. These people reported that one couple had some real estate they bought there years ago and when they came back it was "occupied." They tried to go and remove the people and both of them were shot. I guess they can shoot but no one else can judging from the posts here and the news from there. I think I'll turn my sights in a different direction unless there is a big change. .

I have a flight to Bariloche for a 2 week vacation tomorrow morning! How bad do you think it's going to be? Should I consider not going?
Or fly in and try to go to Villa La Angostura or similar instead?

I don't think there is a problem for a tourist. I would probably go--but I'd check with friends first just because it would be easy to do. I don't get the feeling they are afraid, just say not to invest there. But who knows? One of my friends lives in Angostura and he is not happy with the situation at the city park. He plans to stay there until next summer and then he's looking at moving. He's been there about 8 years. It seems to me that these incidents make us feel like an entire area is crime ridden when really it isn't. For example the last crisis in Argentina sounds horrible, and I think it was. But my lawyer lives in my neighborhood and his office is here and he said during that time he came to work every day and everything was normal except one day the government told everyone to stay home.

Same with someone else I know who lived out Martinez way. He was in high school and he said he was hardly aware of it, most of the trouble was in the neighborhood of the Casa Rosada.

1. Image of the mob (very talented shot... "pagas menos, llevas mas" can be seen in the distance).

2. That's a société du spectacle according to me http://en.wikipedia....f_the_Spectacle

3. Such events happen quite often in Argentina (even in the small village nearby my house).

1. Yes this is a very talented shot indeed - and carefully avoids showing any of the media who are in attendance

2. More on Guy Debord - a very important thinker http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/audio/2012/mar/28/big-ideas-podcast-debord-society-spectacle
The Big Ideas podcast: Guy Debord's 'society of the spectacle' Benjamen Walker explores situationism and the legacy of French philosopher Guy Debord's famous phrase

Download mp3

Published in 1967, Guy Debord's book La Société du Spectacle ("The Society of the Spectacle") is nothing less than a radical attack on modern society, in which, in Debord's words, "being" had declined into a state of "having", and "having" merely meant "appearing".

But what exactly was the spectacle? Was it consumerism? Was it mass media? And how does Debord's theory let us understand modern spectacles such as the London Olympics and the royal jubilee?

3. Happens quite often in Argentina? really? Certainly happened in UK and France previously.

Back