Soldiers who should face a firing squad before they die of natural causes

I disagree. I don't think those trials serve any useful purpose, except the cynical political purpose of distracting people from all the problems that should be dealt with (eg, crime, inflation, poverty, etc.).

Argentina focuses too much on the past.

random said:
I disagree. I don't think those trials serve any useful purpose, except the cynical political purpose of distracting people from all the problems that should be dealt with (eg, crime, inflation, poverty, etc.).

I suspect you might have a different opinion if it were your child who was stolen or your mother or father who was murdered by these animals.

The real shame is that these trials come way too late, with people like Vidal being able to spend the prime of their life outside of prison because of scumbags like Menem. Still, it's surely better late than never.

What about Mario Firmenich? He's walking free --- his crimes are never discussed.

This is too one-sided. That's why I don't think this is about "justice," it's about selective vengeance. And feelings of hatred and vengeance don't help the nation heal.

If my child had been stolen --- well, first of all, I would probably have been killed so I wouldn't be thinking anything. But if a family member's child had been stolen, I would hope that the child had been raised in a loving home and was now a healthy, well-adjusted adult.

random said:

Random, your parents are not your parents, they never were.
In fact both died in 1978 (your mother within 2 days after you were born and stolen).
Your mother, before being executed, got raped, both by men in uniform & using various tools.
Your father was electrocuted, was submitted to waterboarding before being thrown out in the Rio de la Plata.

And I forgot, you have a sister you never met which was born the same time as you. She was also "placed" in another family.

But indeed, that's no big deal...:cool: --> this dirty war is not a thing of the past for many Argentinean alive today

Sure, you can incite someone to feel hatred, anger, rage, all the negative emotions. And you can stir up a desire for revenge. But how does it help?

Focus on the current situation, don't dwell on the past. It's over.

Justice won't be served by killing two old men (they won't be killed in any case ---- Argentina doesn't have the death penalty). These trials are just political posturing.

random said:
Focus on the current situation, don't dwell on the past. It's over.

Wow, just wow.

It's far from over. People still are affected every day of their lives by what took place during that period.

As I said, I suspect you'd feel very differently were it you or your family who were affected. Read again what French jurist wrote, imagine that for you and your family and tell us how it's political posturing to prosecute these animals.

Yeah - While I think the current government does take advantage of the dirty war by using it to gloss over other things, the atrocities that were committed aren't exactly minimal. They did some serious damage to this country's collective psyche. And they're STILL finding children who were "placed" with military families after being stolen from their mothers immediately after birth.

I think the real outrage is that its such a right vs left issue - I'd like to think that stealing university students from their beds in the night, torturing them, stealing their babies, murdering them, and covering it up would be universally decried whether or not you favor say, wide-reaching social programs OR no export controls.... People stealing, torture, murder, baby snatching..... Those aren't right vs. left issues. They are pretty much common sense. Should people who bomb things be put in prison? Yes. Should anyone who ideologically shares common ground with them be kidnapped and vanished? No.

sheesh. maybe this post will get me off newcomer status. its been almost a year ppl

Again, what about Mario Firmenich?

The fact that none of you has responded to that question suggests that none of you knows who he is, or what he did. Ever heard of Aramburu?

During that whole period (starting before the golpe del estado), Argentina was basically engaged in a civil war. It was HORRIBLE, period.

But it's over now. Let it go. Seeking vengeance after 30 years doesn't help Argentina with its many problems of TODAY.

The US right now is in a crisis state. Should the American people forget about the economy, the wars, the healthcare crisis, etc. and focus on prosecuting Cheny and Rumsfeld for human rights abuses? But that's not a good example because their crimes are still current --- flash forward 25 years years, imagine that the US has similar problems to those it has now, and then ask yourself whether the people (many of whom will have been born AFTER those two retired) should be focusing on solving the current problems or trying to get "justice" for the victims of waterboarding, etc.

Adelante!

Just because Argentina does not like looking in the mirror...does not mean it should not start now. Maybe if Argentina looked just a little bit into it's past...it would not do the same mistakes..over and over and over and over....

Back