Some expat observations

El chabon said:
If they don't have a EU passport it will be pretty much impossible to move there.

I actually know a handful of Americans and Canadians who arrived in Spain, France, or Germany on tourist visas and stayed or are staying for a year or so. There's always a risk of being fined for overstaying a Schengen visa, but in practice, none of them have been.

starlucia said:
I actually know a handful of Americans and Canadians who arrived in Spain, France, or Germany on tourist visas and stayed or are staying for a year or so. There's always a risk of being fined for overstaying a Schengen visa, but in practice, none of them have been.

Don't know what happens but I am pretty sure you will be banned from entering Europe for 5 years. Guess it's similar what would happen to an European if he overstays in the US, wouldnt advice it though

Eclair said:
fifs2 said:
This is true... but it doesn't just apply to "moneyed" people. My aunt has an extra apartment in Barcelona that was inherited, but they have chosen not to rent it out at all after a bad experience with a tenant that lost his job and they had to provide free housing for a year and a half. He of course wasn't the best of tenants and left the place a disaster. Right now I think they're saving it for one of the kids, but if they do rent it out you can bet it will be for a price that makes the risk worthwhile. :p

I have to admit I haven't been to Spain in a few years, but even with all the unemployment I personally I think quality of life in Spain is better than here... the food alone makes up for everything. ;) And I like the Spanish.. they're generally friendly people and not as "chantas" as the people here. Of course I'm half Spanish myself, so I'm biased. :p

In every bad economy there are people getting rich or begin rich but I am sure for any 'succesfull' story there are 10 bad ones with people going bankrupt or unable to rent out there over the top financed property.

Things are really, really bad in Spain, very few people escape the crisis and things are likely to get worse before they get better

For some reference, currently 1.700.000 families have no family member working (legally) and 850.000 families living without any source of income(shut out of social security because of begin illegal) and Spain is probally going to change the free health-care for illegals policy as well.

starlucia said:

Don't know what happens because laws are different in the EU countries as well as there take on illegal immigrants but I am pretty sure you'll be blacklisted for 5 years and the risk of getting arrested and then getting deported is always there.

I personally would never advice it

Europe both Schengen and non schengen is becoming a different less tolerant place with scapegoating illegal immigrants a popular platform for even mainstream politicians some but not all loosing it as a result (bye bye Sarkie)

Depends on where you are, how high profile you choose as your way of life and the usual stuff about background, skin colour etc. But avoid getting caught up in demonstrations, or chance street crime, or driving offence, or forgetting to pay your fare or getting taken to hospital because much higher risk that Police will be checking your right to stay.

El chabon said:
Don't know what happens because laws are different in the EU countries as well as there take on illegal immigrants but I am pretty sure you'll be blacklisted for 5 years and the risk of getting arrested and then getting deported is always there.

I personally would never advice it

Like I said, in theory, that's what happens. But I just spent 3 months in Madrid, Paris, and Berlin, where I met a number of Americans there on expired tourist visas, working en negro or living on savings, and upon leaving, were stamped through by airport immigration without a word. Or they hadn't left yet and were like, "Eh, if I have to pay a fine, I have to pay a fine." Will be interesting to see what happens there, especially as the countries they leave from become more and more desperate for revenue...

I personally would never risk it -- in April, after using up my 90 days, I moved on to the UK, and won't re-enter the Schengen zone until July -- but I guess that for some ballsier Americans, the experience of "being an expat in Europe" is worth the possible fine on the way out.

Are you working or just travelling, if it's the first one you could be expelled as well

Chance are by the way quite big that you get caught in a police checkpoint in Spain if you drive

El chabon said:
In every bad economy there are people getting rich or begin rich but I am sure for any 'succesfull' story there are 10 bad ones with people going bankrupt or unable to rent out there over the top financed property.

Things are really, really bad in Spain, very few people escape the crisis and things are likely to get worse before they get better

For some reference, currently 1.700.000 families have no family member working (legally) and 850.000 families living without any source of income(shut out of social security because of begin illegal) and Spain is probally going to change the free health-care for illegals policy as well.

Yes, this is all true... but I was just trying to point to the fact that even middle class families (like my own) that have enough to live but not much extra are leaving their extra apartments empty in cases (if they have them) because the risk to rent with the way the law works is risky... :p

You are right, the economy is terrible... neither one of my recently graduated cousins can find work. The Spanish always had the habit of living at home well into adulthood, but during these times more so.

Spain has always been very lax with long term tourists and illegals. Residency and benefits used to be incredibly easy to acquire... but all that is of course changing since you can't welcome everyone when your own people are suffering.

Back