Something Is Fishy In Argentina

cruizes

Registered
Guys I really need your help. I desperately need protein in my diet because of a past surgery. Beef and pork I can't do. Chicken OMG I can't live on chicken the rest of my live. Now let's talk fish. I have gone to pescaderias and decided to try the fish and seafood that they sell. Finding out that the shrimp and scallops are from Chile was a little disappointing. Already cleaned, deveined with no head but some of the fish they told me does come from Argentina.

Last night I was so excited to try the new finds. I cooked 3 different fish, Merluza, Filet De Mero and Lomo De Abadejo. At first no problem and then I noticed this unusual after taste on the tip of my tongue. Not sure if it was iron or maybe chlorine.

A little leery about trying the shrimp and scallops tomorrow but hoping that the taste will be good.

Can someone guide me through this. I want to stay in Buenos Aires but really need to " nip it in the bud"

Guys I really need your help. I desperately need protein in my diet because of a past surgery. Beef and pork I can't do. Chicken OMG I can't live on chicken the rest of my live. Now let's talk fish. I have gone to pescaderias and decided to try the fish and seafood that they sell. Finding out that the shrimp and scallops are from Chile was a little disappointing. Already cleaned, deveined with no head but some of the fish they told me does come from Argentina.

Last night I was so excited to try the new finds. I cooked 3 different fish, Merluza, Filet De Mero and Lomo De Abadejo. At first no problem and then I noticed this unusual after taste on the tip of my tongue. Not sure if it was iron or maybe chlorine.

A little leery about trying the shrimp and scallops tomorrow but hoping that the taste will be good.

Can someone guide me through this. I want to stay in Buenos Aires but really need to " nip it in the bud"

How about carpincho, llama, guanaco or perhaps lamb?

Protein powder tossed into smoothies.

Have you really not incorporated this into your diet already?

You are asking two questions I think. First, I haven't had any problems with the seafood here in BA - except that the choices are pretty narrow and that none of my Argentine friends will eat it.

Second, there are a lot of other sources of protein. In addition to what's already been offered legumes are a great option. Don't know how prevalent rabbit is here but it's pretty tasty. The best lean sources of protein I've eaten are venison and squirrel, but you'll be hard-pressed to find those here I think.

Eggs, cheeses, and tofu based dishes. The filleted salmon or salmon steaks is always a winner (try with a teriyaki sauce for a Benihana type meal!). And you can always do a tuna casserole! There are also salmon burgers,and soy burgers available frozen at the supermarkets. I also get "pollo picado" to make different kinds of burgers with or chicken tacos...

Legumes are a must, and egg whites omelette . Seafood nonexistent chlorine is used to mask the fish strong smell....!!!

High quality sources of non-meat based protein are sesame, quinoa, sunflower seeds and of course black and red beans which are also two foods with the highest antioxidant content of any foods on the market.

The pink and white salmon, and trout from here in Argentina that I have tried are utterly fantastic. Shrimp is horrible, but scallops can be found. Also there is great calamari here in Argentina.

lentils are delicious and have like 20g of protein per serving. Just make sure you soak them for a few hours and then rinse them well. I also agree with lacoqueta The Salmon is quite good. I've always found very good fresh salmon at my local carrefour market.

Back