Soon To Expat - Home Buying Info Sought

agree with most comments on budget here. we are trying to live on about 7k pesos per month and own our own property in the province, and it's a tight squeeze. doable if you don't own a car and take buses everywhere and never eat out. not wanting to burst your bubble (I am English, my husband Argentine), but why don't you go back to Brazil? at least their economy is in much better shape and the weather is better! crime is bad here, esp outside of capital where policing is less effective, but the economy is a disaster. buying any imported goods is a nightmare (either not available or 4 times the price for the same product in the UK and I am sure even higher multiple of US prices). I would definitely not buy any property here while you have the inconvertibility issues. can you consider renting initially? we are here to see out maternity leave and then outta here until the economy improves - we live in hope!

I would consider living in Misiones near the Iguazu Falls, Brazil and Paraguay too.
It is cheap, safe, with a large immigrant population, full of plants, greenery, waterfalls, rivers,etc

Brazil is not any better and you are going to find most of the same issues there as here. Of course, it is not completely the same, but Brazil's economy is not any better and their medical system has issues. If you like the beach, you might choose Brazil though.

One thing I'm dying to know is why in the hell anyone would buy property in argentina at the moment.

There is a HUGE difference between safety in Capital and outside of it.

That's right! In capital I have to chain up my bike if I use the chino. I live in Zona Oeste - dirt road, and a number of cartoneros live around the corner - I look like an idiot tying up my bike at the chino. Nobody else does! Everyone on the block knows each other since forever, and look out for each other, kids playing football in the street, cartoneros kids riding their horses in the (big) plaza - it's grand! It's only when I go to capital that I have to start walking around with my hands in my pockets.

That's right! In capital I have to chain up my bike if I use the chino. I live in Zona Oeste - dirt road, and a number of cartoneros live around the corner - I look like an idiot tying up my bike at the chino. Nobody else does! Everyone on the block knows each other since forever, and look out for each other, kids playing football in the street, cartoneros kids riding their horses in the (big) plaza - it's grand! It's only when I go to capital that I have to start walking around with my hands in my pockets.

Ok. Tell yourself whatever you'd like but nobody else here is going to buy it.

Back