Sour Cream?

EvergreenGal said:
Have never seen sour cream here in 3 years :(

I was a little surprised that they had "sour cream" and the California Burrito Company on Lavalle. I asked if it was real but the girl mentioned lemons. So I think in was their concoction. But they had a big ole tub of it like they do at Chipolte's.

For buttermilk in recipes, I add a bit of lemon juice to milk....works for my corn bread and pancakes anyway!

Yes, about 1 or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let sit for at least 15 minutes to "turn"....can also use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar too.

NO butter milk here either ...if you make a trip to the states they do have dried butter milk in a good sized container you just add water to it I believe..has been a while...

I don't know, maybe I have been out of the states for WAY toooo long, and maybe I just don't remember, but in 9 out of 10 recipes, Mendicrem will work. Casancrem is more like cream cheese, but most restaurants are using Mendicrem. In the Kansas, I think is where they told me to use it.

Mike

I usually do a mix of half Finlandia, half plain yogurt. Whisk it up together, it may need a little salt, or even a little sugar depending on what you are using it for. If i'm using for tacos then half Finlandia, half plain yogurt, some lemon juice and a bit of salt to taste. Goes great over tacos.

Back