South American Sparkling Wine Rec's?

stevec

Registered
Hello all

Christmas approaching, what have you got in the way of sparkling wine recommendations?

Anything dry and domestic that's worth a try?

Failing that, best spot for imports? Or are they all prohibitively expensive?

I think I'd prefer cider but, in general, I just don't care for bubbly drinks.

Locally made Mumm and Chandon are safe bets - 70 -80 pesos per bottle . Production still closely controlled by the French mother companies.

If you live in Palermo I recommend going to Malambo on the corner of Thames & Guatemala. The owner really knows his wines.
Nancy

Thanks, all. Can't say I agree with John's assessment of Chandon, which I've sampled a fair bit of in UK and Australia. The Argentinian version is quite different - less complex, more fizz, and considerably sweeter. I might've been a dud batch, but it tasted a lot like the other couple of domestic sparklings I've tried, which makes me think it's made with local palates in mind.

That said, any sparkling I bought in Aus/NZ for $8 would be...actually, I don't even want to think about it.

I have been serving Maria Codorniu recently. It is a chardonnay,pinot noir blend. Quite big, slightly flatter bubbles that don't obscure the taste of the wine. About 75 pesos in the shops but if you buy a couple of cases (of anything) cash you can normally get a 30% discount so works out around 50.

Nearest to champagne is Cruzat, I especially like their Reserve Brut Nature, followed by the Atemporal line of Alta Vista. Agree that the Maria Codorniu is good bubbly with an excellent price-quality relation. Escorihuela Gascón Extra Brut is okay too. For sparkling rosé, the Foster Lois is an excellent and economical choice. Imports are expensive, speak to Ezequiel or Marcelo at Soilwines (Libertad 970), mention NigelT and they´ll probably give you an extra discount too.

Good show, lads - several to try. Will go in search of the Codorniu this weekend. That should leave enough time to think of a plausible excuse...

Back