Spanish tutor just increased rates by 30%

TravisJames

Registered
I'd been paying 70 pesos/hr for about a month and a half, now she says it is going to be 90 pesos/hr because of inflation.

I like my teacher, but I feel, based on what I have read in this forum and heard from friends, I can get a better deal.

What do you say? Am I getting hosed?

Reactions: Ola
TravisJames said:
I like my teacher

If you pay her 90 pesos an hour I bet she likes you... and I bet she doesn't give you a receipt nor pay taxes...

Working 2 hours a day 6 days a week she would earn AR$ 4500.....thats a lot...

That is waaaay to expensive. 70 pesos an hour is outrageous.

HAHA! That's more than I made teaching in France! She's scamming you. You'd be a fool to pay that.

that is insane...
From what I gather, most people pay around 40 pesos an hour for private lessons. Your teacher is going to price herself out of business.

I agree with most of opinions here. I did some Spanish tuiton, even is not my main acitvity, and to be honest never ever heard from someone asking for 70 pesos, 50 is fine, 40 is a good deal; and of course 90 pesos !!! come on... for that price she should includes at least a beef and a glass of wine hahaha

Well, I feel like a chump. But thanks for the responses and private messages. I like you guys.

I'm sorry, but 70 pesos is absolutely a fair price to pay for QUALIFIED private language instruction. In the US, as an ESL teacher with a master's degree, I earn $53/USD per hour, and private Spanish tutors (with credentials and years of experience) earn no less than $30-40. Would you EVER pay a private tutor $10-12 in the US and expect high-quality results? Meanwhile, look at inflation in BA: 40 pesos won't even buy you lunch anymore, and you expect an experienced teacher to invest unpaid prep time designing an individual lesson plan, work around your schedule and location, and provide materials? Sure, you could get some native speaker to chat with you for 40 pesos an hour, but I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to invest a whole lot of time or pedagogy.

Back