Springtime Bolivariana . Students Revolt

I am not sure what Germany has to do with it.

Regarding the media: It is not true that the only state run media is available. Private (opposition) media is available. For example most of the newspapers in Venezuela are private.

I am not sure if he has control of the police though. I am not fully up to date but the police in Caracas was always against the Chavistas.

No, state police, not the police in Caracas. Several Venezuelans have said that he has control via social media, but you can't be totally sure.

Regarding the media: It is not true that the only state run media is available. Private (opposition) media is available. For example most of the newspapers in Venezuela are private.

Recently the last opposition media news outlet, that simply reported on the protests, was taken down. Twitter in Venezuela was also taken down. Also, the government is not letting opposition newspapers buy paper anymore. At least this is what I am hearing on Facebook/Twitter.

Not really a springtime since it's another failed putsch.
Interesting (once again, like the previous protests where about 10 people died) to note that most of the victims are pro Maduro (our so called free press hardly admits it, lol).

What would happen if in Europe or the US, some students backed up by a foreign country would start protesting, killing pro-government people, etc.? They would be shot on sight of course.

Maduro's policy is very populist indeed but he has been democratically elected (let's not forget that elections in Venezuela are much more transparent than in the US for instance).

Please explain how elections in Venezuela are more transparent than elections in the U.S.???

Not really a springtime since it's another failed putsch.
Interesting (once again, like the previous protests where about 10 people died) to note that most of the victims are pro Maduro (our so called free press hardly admits it, lol).

What would happen if in Europe or the US, some students backed up by a foreign country would start protesting, killing pro-government people, etc.? They would be shot on sight of course.

Maduro's policy is very populist indeed but he has been democratically elected (let's not forget that elections in Venezuela are much more transparent than in the US for instance).

Are you turning this into a parody account?

I was making a contrast with what is perceived as a well run, socially inclusive European state.

If you believe in free media in Venezuela then I guess this conversation is on shakey ground. As I am sure you are aware there is a law - "Ley de Responsabilidad Social en Radio, Televisión y Medios Electrónicos" which prevents channels, websites and newspapers reporting on matters which might (as judged by the govt) incite felonies, create social distress or question the legimate constituted authority.

In other words, any reporting of protests is illegal and will result in a hefty fine (10 % of previous years income...note, no 10% of profit, 10% of income!

So, regardless of who owns the media, they are controlled by state laws so we can dispense with the fallacy of free media straight away, the govt has previously fined ISPs for publishing the black market currency rate and currently is engaged in switching off twitter accounts that publish news they don't like.

Orwellian indeed.

Back