Starting a life in BA

And/or start a business. But to do that the latter, you have to investigate the immigration process. Start from first principles: if I want to become a migrant to Argentina, what immigration options does the country offer? Even working remotely for clients abroad (i.e., starting a new life here without becoming a migrant) cannot be done without understanding the entry rules at the border. Or the tax rules, for that matter.
Eh, people digital nomad here doing border runs every 6 months.

I'd say more than half the population of Argentina disregards the tax rules by either working off the books, employing people off the books, or earning income abroad.

But absolutely, you should understand which laws you're likely to be breaking and what the consequences are.

salary vs cost of living

The site is a collaborative platform that calculates the different prices between two cities. Visitors and residents share an average of basic expenditures (like food, accommodation and transport) and with this information the site makes a calculation of the costs of each city.

The site also functions as a collaborative platform, where anyone can add information to help keep the prices updated. Numbeo also provides current and timely information on world living conditions including cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution.

Maybe you'll be here for the revolution in a couple years? Could be exciting.

Thank you everyone for the extremely insightful information. If I read between the lines , you all identified how volatile the financial situation is here and how challenging such a move can become without the proper financial preparation and foundation. I will need to do some homework and figure out if we are able to work with the existing conditions. In the interim , thank you again everyone for all of your insights

Thank you everyone for the extremely insightful information. If I read between the lines , you all identified how volatile the financial situation is here and how challenging such a move can become without the proper financial preparation and foundation. I will need to do some homework and figure out if we are able to work with the existing conditions. In the interim , thank you again everyone for all of your insights
You also need to look into which visa you would qualify for.

Professional employment in Argentina? If you don't have either a lot of luck or work for a foreign company with presence here or relevant personal connections who can open a door for you at a company where the work matches your language skills and background, then forget it. This country works mostly based on nepotism and trading favours especially the higher up you go. And quite frankly, most local employers would be secretly reluctant to take any recently arrived foreigner (especially from a "developed" country like Canada) for any position with decision making capacity as doing business in Argentina is too complex for a someone fresh off the boat to be able to comprehend and navigate from the get go without a lot of babysitting...

If you want to work in sectors where it is easier for foreigners to find work like a hotel or restaurant, you'll be earning like ARS 90.000 a month (and probably living in a cruddy worn out old apartment in a "nice" part of the city that costs ARS 70.000 a month...)

As everyone else will tell you, you’re better off investing your time exploring ways you can make a living from your professional activities remotely for clients abroad.
Nepotism and trading favors? I did extensive remodeling of an apartment, and therefore needed an architect, electrician, etc. etc. When I would ask friends for recommendations, they mostly recommended friends or relatives. It always seemed to me they would NEVER recommend based on competence, but rather on friendship or blood line. Same when you are looking for an accountant. Thus, be very careful when receiving advice or choosing people to work with.

Nepotism and trading favors? I did extensive remodeling of an apartment, and therefore needed an architect, electrician, etc. etc. When I would ask friends for recommendations, they mostly recommended friends or relatives. It always seemed to me they would NEVER recommend based on competence, but rather on friendship or blood line. Same when you are looking for an accountant. Thus, be very careful when receiving advice or choosing people to work with.
Now imagine how most CEOs, directors and managers got their jobs... then ponder why performance of most Argentine companies is so meh and frustration for customers is all too often the name of the game. Same goes for the public sector.

Well, yeah, but, other side of the coin - imagine the ration of squishy mierda you will get from your wife when you inform her that instead of hiring her lazy, incompetent boludo of a baby brother, you're going to hire someone who actually knows his hand from a hacksaw.

Before starting a small local business get an expert on Labor Law to learn what you are up against. Terminating a disgruntled employee may force you to pull down the curtain.

Back