Starting A Restaurant Business In Buenos Aires

Why don t you just go to "el álamo" and talk with the owner? He is from the US and has experience in that field.

The food's terrible at the Alamo (the one in Recoleta now called "el Mo"). I know the owners, of both places (the new one in Palermo has a new partner). The only thing they really worry about is selling the beer and serving something solid that drunk people can put in their mouth while getting inebriated. Unless you want to start a bar, don't talk to the guys at the Alamo.

To the OP - I think you guys would have more luck doing a small place, selling BBQ sandwiches, maybe chicken fried steak sandwiches, tacos, stuff like that, in a fast food setting (like Nac & Pop, for example). Something as low overhead as you can make it, at first - you'll get the most clients right away from that sort of crowd with fast food. If it takes off, you could spin off a restaurant.

You want the least headaches you can get here to begin with. Supply is a huge problem, particularly with things like chili powder, for example. Forget hickory or mesquite wood, although you may be able to find something flavorful here as a substitute.

I know a guy who lived in Austin for decades, ran restaurants and has a pretty good head on his shoulders if you are looking for someone trustworthy to help you all out.

A Food truck with Tacos

Tex mex food

truck-home.jpg

Offering a loaded baked potato, collard greens, black-eyed peas, and/or creamed spinach IN ADDITION to provoleta, papas fritas, morcillas, y chorizos would be much smarter than "instead of".

I think the baked potato would work as potatoes are the "vegetable" that is most eaten here. I don't think collard greens would work very well and neither would black-eyed peas. Porteños DO NOT like beans generally, the only place where I have ever seen them served is in health food restaurants or on some salad bars and they usually look old and untouched.

I hope you do go for it!!......... I have wanted to open a bar and grill (I guess like almost every guy) since I was in college at University of Texas in Austin...... love love love your idea.... the big problem..is Argentina!!... whatever money you are thinking double it!
you must have enough money to buy the property..getting into a lease here will bleed you dry and the owner will screw you somehow.... the cost of a building is not cheap... that would be the only way to do it long term would be to buy the building........got to think of palermo barrio norte. recoleta and las canitas areas for the fixture of locals with heavy tourist -expat traffic but all of this up to you.... renting is still possible like taking this over at 90,000 dollars for the goodwill something like this

http://www.argenprop.com/Propiedades/Detalles/6969033--Fondo-de-comercio-en-Venta-en-Capital-Federal?hb=1

then the taxes and labor laws here are all crazy and nothing makes any sense.... as a foreigner the locals will try to either over charge you to death... bribe you to death or regulation you to death ..... they closed down a friends restaurant for 2 weeks since they had a squeeze ketchup bottle on a table... against the "health code"....
as others have said the supply and getting the products you need......I mean everything you are thinking about from food, dishes, beer, supplies, everything.... can you buy it here?? can you buy what you really want and need with the concept you have? something as simple as spices or barbeque sauce, buffalo wing sauce etc etc you cant buy it here so you have to be a chemist making this everyday...you have to be a great cook since you cant buy most products you have to make or grow your own
the thought of you not being here every day ...that is very hard... if you can find a family member or good friend..it could work... but you know business anyplace in the world when the owner is not there.... only bad can happen!!...
I HOPE YOU DO IT!! I would love to see it.... IT IS NOT ALL BAD...you see every day with bad service average food places making it.... so with anyone who puts some effort thinks about service, quality and fun should be able to make it!!!! I would help you out for free anytime to get it started.... I would think smaller.... forget the live music.. i know that sucks... but put on some cool dj music.. get some great steaks and texas food....bake potato mac and cheese some brisket... and some good beer... make it rustic,fun and different and just go from there.... if it works...then the 2nd one can have the live music and beer garden... cheers good luck to you!!! I hope to be sitting at your place having a cold one someday soon!!!!

I don't know about western style eatery business profitable or not.
But in my friend's Japanese restaurant and with very large Sushi counter, always fully packed with regulars.

But when talking to tax accountant whom care for the restaurant's books, he saz, not making profit...?

But my friend has paid off a US$1000.000.00 house of his, plus the entire restaurant, and let not forget
his two sons "medical school" tuitions paid in full ahead to an ivy league med school...!

So I know that the " Sushi joint " makes a lot of money everywhere in the hemisphere and will work in Bs As too !

So I know that the " Sushi joint " makes a lot of money everywhere in the hemisphere and will work in Bs As too !

A few yeas ago there were posts about sushi joints closing in BA because they could not get authentic items to serve their customers and some of the substitutions sounded awful.

You might want to be sure you can import the most important "ingredients" prior to taking the plunge.

Hi y'all - I have been kicking around the idea of setting up a Texas style restaurant in Buenos Aires - its been a dream of mine for some time and perhaps this is not the best time to start a business but hey I am in it for the long term and I have some buddies from Texas who are willing to invest and love it here in BA. With the growth of shale gas business we see a good opportunity right now to introduce some Texas culture to the locals and the expats

Where in BA do you think would be the best place to look for a location? Does anybody have experience with running a restaurant here? What are the pros and cons and how much % profit can you make at it - everybody eats out here just like back in Houston so the market is here

This would be a Texas style steakhouse but would also do crawfish, craft beers and have rock bands playing at the weekends - I envisage having an open terrace for live music and if it works out we would like to perhaps dream a little bit and look at the potential to expand to all the main cities in the country

Just team up with Larry (El Tejano) and open a bigger place with music. He already has the following, suppliers etc and the addition of Texas rock or some blues would be sure to be attractive...I know he is already thinking of a bigger venue.

I think the baked potato would work as potatoes are the "vegetable" that is most eaten here. I don't think collard greens would work very well and neither would black-eyed peas. Porteños DO NOT like beans generally, the only place where I have ever seen them served is in health food restaurants or on some salad bars and they usually look old and untouched.

There used to be a baked potato chain place downtown, it closed down and was replaced with a fredo which was also closed last time i past a good few months ago.

I think there's one from the same chain in the Abasto although I've not been for a while to see if its still there.

Back