State Dept. Suspends Overseas Passport, Visa Issuance

Being from Congo, I had to take visa to almost any place I had to travel to. So have lot of experience with visa applications.

Personally, I feel US visa system is most honest, most practical and most efficient as compared to to visa application system of other countries.

I applaud them, for running, one of the best visa systems on the planet.

The principle thing that frustrates me about it is not any kind of dishonesty, simply the fact that too many things in the US, including visa approval, has no room for personal judgement whatsoever. The overriding concern on limiting who comes in from other countries ostensibly is to try to keep out dangerous, or criminal, elements and try to filter out people who are likely to overstay their visa and remain illegally.

We put together so much proof that my wife has serious ties to both Argentina and Paraguay that there was no doubt, in at least one of the interviewer's minds - she told us so, just told us that the decision had already been made and even though supposedly she had the ability to override that decision, the reality was quite different and rightly so that she felt it wasn't worth losing her job over. She even took it to her supervisor to ask if it was possible for the supervisor to override the decision made back in the States, but the supervisor wouldn't do it either. The guy I talked to in the consulate afterward confirmed to me that the interviewers have more leeway to reject someone that has already been approved than they do to approve someone who has been rejected.

Maybe I can get her in on some kind of refugee status... :)

As Ajo, I believe in open borders as well. Maybe one difference there is that I also believe that if someone comes to the country (whichever it be) they do not automatically deserve to be taken care of by government programs that they have not paid into. But very few people believe like I do anyway :)

El Queso - that's a terrible story and I'm sorry your wife can't get a visa.

Argentines have an acceptance rate of 98% for visas to the US so by and large, it seems that it isn't hard to get accepted here for a tourist visa. It's been super easy the times Martin has done it thankfully. And at no time did they ask about his religious affiliation. Or proof of income.

(I'm a big proponent of a more open system for what its worth though).

In fact, I have told her that if she would get Argentine citizenship she could probably get approved with no problem. Unfortunately, she's not too fond of how too many people here have treated her related to her Paraguayan nationality and she simply refuses - for now :)

In fact, I have told her that if she would get Argentine citizenship she could probably get approved with no problem. Unfortunately, she's not too fond of how too many people here have treated her related to her Paraguayan nationality and she simply refuses - for now :)

My wife was unenthusiastic about getting US citizenship, but got it for pragmatic purposes. She now uses it to enter Argentina, since she no longer has an Argentine passport (though she does have a new DNI).

El Queso, I am completely appalled that your wife cannot get a visa. Crazy! You seemed to have provided every single proof they could ever want to show that her ties are 100% here in Argentina. What a shame, and so sad for your parents who don't even get to meet her.

Interesting also that citizens of Paraguay don't need a Schengen visa for Europe, but that it is proving impossible for a wife of a US citizen to get a tourist visa for the US... Don't get it.

Exactly, Noruega - it's things like this that drive me crazy about US immigration policy and its implementation. Without ever having looked at European immigration/visa requirements related to Paraguayans, I figured my oldest was going to have to get a visa (or more than one) for her trip to Finland (where she is right now) and her subsequent mini-tour of europe while she's there. But nope, not a one. Paraguayans can enter any country in Europe (and really, quite a few other countries around the world, except the US!). :p <-- this to US immigration policy.

And Ajo, my wife would love US citizenship. Heh. It's all about point of view I guess. I keep asking her to be pragmatic and go for it, maybe one day soon she'll crack and we may have another way in to the US.

ElQueso - It's likely a long shot but you might try contacting your Congressman - excuse me, Congressperson. Although I have no personal experience, it's my understanding that when a Congressperson's office asks one of the Executive Branch's bureaucracies for an explanation of some action the question gets attention.

Just a thought.

Bob

ElQueso - It's likely a long shot but you might try contacting your Congressman - excuse me, Congressperson. Although I have no personal experience, it's my understanding that when a Congressperson's office asks one of the Executive Branch's bureaucracies for an explanation of some action the question gets attention.

Just a thought.

Bob

You also might try one or both Senators from the state. Local congressmembers may be more constituent-oriented, but Senators have more influence.

You might also check whether any of the above has engaged in anti-immigrant hysteria.

Thanks for the advice guys :) In fact, my father has discussed doing exactly that, and then he broke his femur trying to put a box on a high shelf in his garage, which has delayed things a bit on his end. I need to remind him to do that again. Unfortunately, since I no longer have residency in the US, I have no one to write to, myself.

He lives in Missouri and I did a quick search and it looks like they were jumping on the anti-immigration hysteria in 2012, don't know where that ended up. :(

Claire McCaskill is a pretty middle of the road, straight talking, fiery Democrat. She is your best senate bet.

EDIT: If your father doesn't have an aversion to online forms. Choose "Help with a Federal Agency" and then "Passports/State Department" from the dropdown and then explain the issue.

If you are a registered voter in the US at your last place of residence (MO or otherwise). You can also petition assistance from your representatives.

Due to the visa glitch hundreds of Mexican migrant workers, waiting at the border, can't get their visas to enter Californian for the harvest season

Back