Steak

Also somebody had posted those images here on the forum that I found very useful for identifying/comparing the cuts:

lamina2.jpg

beefcutslarge.gif

The older I get, the more I tend toward standing roasts instead of individual steaks. The main reason is, as five-star chef Louis Prima so deftly noted, "The Closer to the Bone, the Sweeter is the Meat." Bones are what give meat its flavour, and with a small individual steak, you have precious little time to use the bone to the fullest, or in the case of a strip steak, you have no bone at all and thus less tenderness and less flavour.

Thus what I personally do is buy a few kilos of bife angosta in a single piece with the bone on. Get the cast iron smoking hot and sear it on all sides, especially browning the bejeezus out of the bone. Then, add fresh thyme and throw the whole damn thing in a very low oven. Cook it as slowly as possible, an hour or so on minimum heat, basting as much as possible, and you will get cow heaven. Even red-pink colour throughout, completely moist, and bones to gnaw on.

Very good tips, however it's a version of oil pan Fried Steak, what Oil should be used?
However a steak Must be grilled over mesquite or other hard wood.or coal
If anyone needs a meat thermometer let me know, excellent ones at a hardware store on Arenales and Ayacucho.

A good tip if you are pan frying a cut with less fat is to paint it with butter then cook if in a very hot pan flipping frequently. The butter speeds the caramelisation of the outside imparting more taste, while the flipping ensures even cooking. Then rest it for 5 minutes of course before tucking in.

You should use an oil with a high smoking point, so don't use olive oil, but for example sunflower or better safflower oil. For the taste, you can still put some butter to it after the high temperature phase and add some garlic and rosemary for example.

What brands of oil do you use? I was once told by a chef that "Natura" (the girasol/sunflower type) would be an excellent oil. What are your opinions/experiences?

Mendoza is known of their quality olive oil!

I use olive oil -extra virgen.

Mendoza is known of their quality olive oil!

I use olive oil -extra virgen.
Yes Mendoza has excellent olives and olive oil. I am surrounded by fincas growing olives and buy my olive oil (extra virgin) directly from the finca. But I use it mainly for salads, some bread types, etc.- but not for frying. Do you use extra virgin olive oil for frying as well?

Olive oil does break down at relatively low temperatures. It can be used to cook things that don't require too much heat. Cooking steak is however too much heat.

Yes Mendoza has excellent olives and olive oil. I am surrounded by fincas growing olives and buy my olive oil (extra virgin) directly from the finca. But I use it mainly for salads, some bread types, etc.- but not for frying. Do you use extra virgin olive oil for frying as well?

yes, but just a little, not to cover all the piece, it does not have to be swimming in oil, just a little on the frying pan

Back