Steak

My take on the whole cooking with olive oil thing...

Extra Virgin OO is different from other olive oils in that it is a first, cold pressing. After that, they use heat to extract more oil out of the olive must, producing the less expensive olive oils. So what makes Extra Virgin so expensive is that it has no heat applied to it to alter its flavour.

So why cook with it then? If you add heat, you are degrading it to the level of heat extracted olive oil which is cheaper. Thus if I want to cook with olive oil, I just use the cheaper stuff, and save the EVOO for salads and stuff.

Insofar as steaks go, Chez Rooney they are either cooked in butter or their own lard. I know some folks argue that you shouldnt take butter past its flash point, but I like me the taste of burnt butter.

There are some really elegant EVOOs from Córdoba. To me it seems a shame to cook the flavour out of them.

Very true, no chef would use OO to Fry.

According to Julia Chilld :p for steaks to brown well should let to rest at room temperature and dry with paper towels !!! Some may seal the stake on a hot pan both sides and edges and then cook in the oven with a meat thermometer until 85 degrees C at the center. Juicy

Attachments

• DSCN0087.JPG
    DSCN0087.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 5
What about paleta, peceto, nalga? Anyone have some recommendations for these cuts? I tried these on the plancha but haven't had much luck. I know that I'm overcooking them, but maybe these are not meant for the skillet either.
For me personally, those cuts have so little marbling that they're really only good for things like stir-fries, sauteeing, and perhaps tartare or carpaccio, but I don't like them as steaks or roasts. Rib cuts are 30x better.

Then again, relax, it's Argentina! You can overcook the living daylights out of beef and the locals will still applaud you as the best chef ever.

[/size]For me personally, those cuts have so little marbling that they're really only good for things like stir-fries, sauteeing, and perhaps tartare or carpaccio, but I don't like them as steaks or roasts. Rib cuts are 30x better.

Then again, relax, it's Argentina! You can overcook the living daylights out of beef and the locals will still applaud you as the best chef ever.

:(

According to Julia Chilld :p for steaks to brown well should let to rest at room temperature and dry with paper towels !!! Some may seal the stake on a hot pan both sides and edges and then cook in the oven with a meat thermometer until 85 degrees C at the center. Juicy

I dont use it to fry, just to "sellar", to make them caramelise, that brown sugar colour, its just a little stream

I didnt know what Ed said, he sure is right, but olive oil gives the steak that taste I like.

When in the world did Julia say that? 85 C would be an Argentine steak.

85 degree celsius should be beyond a shoe sole... Maybe it was a tip for our english friends and the temperature was in fahrenheit :D

When in the world did Julia say that? 85 C would be an Argentine steak.

The Julia Child quote refered only "to dry the meat with paper Towels " hahaha

Now for you and thorsten..!! What should be the Temp. reading in Celsius at the center of a 2 inch steak...???? for medium rare ?
Just give A number ....! no rambling :D be specific !

I donated a thermometer to the Parrillero of a Parrilla in Ruta 5 , Merecedes, and asked the Parrilero Eleuterio to cook my steak at 85 C over a Charcoal Parrilla.... See photo

post-11748-0-38012200-1404870064_thumb.jpg

The Julia Child quote refered only "to dry the meat with paper Towels " hahaha

Now for you and thorsten..!! What should be the Temp. reading in Celsius at the center of a 2 inch steak...???? for medium rare ?
Just give A number ....! no rambling :D be specific !
Medium rare on a two inch steak? If I had a warm place to rest it, ie not an ice cold plate, for 10 min - 15 min I'd pull it out of the oven when the center is 54 C. Thats medium rare for fussy people. If it were for me, I'd pull it out at 47-48 and rest. That said, I think reaching into a blazing hot oven to stab a beautifully seared steak with a cold needle should be punishable by public shaming. I pretty much only use a probe for large roasts and I always put it in from the moment it goes into the oven and don't pull it until the meat is done resting.

Edit: Sorry for the rambling :p; 54 C

Medium rare on a two inch steak? If I had a warm place to rest it, ie not an ice cold plate, for 10 min - 15 min I'd pull it out of the oven when the center is 54 C. Thats medium rare for fussy people. If it were for me, I'd pull it out at 47-48 and rest. That said, I think reaching into a blazing hot offen to stab a beautifully seared steak with a cold needle should be punishable by public shaming. I pretty much only use a probe for large roasts and I always put it in from the moment it goes into the oven and don't pull it until the meat is done resting.

Edit: Sorry for the rambling :p; 54 C

Well what can I say? However a page shows the following temps. perhaps we were both off from the suggested temperatures for medium? You were closer for Rare. My cooking was on an open Parrilla. B) Maybe 85 was too much... :rolleyes:

INTERNAL MINIMUM TEMPERATURES FOR MEAT AND POULTRY PRODUCT MINIMUM FAHRENHEIT Beef (roasts, steaks, and chops)* - Rare (some bacterial risk) 140° 60 C - Medium 160° 72 C - Well-done 170° 77 C

Well what can I say? However a page shows the following temps. perhaps we were both off from the suggested temperatures for medium? You were closer for Rare. My cooking was on an open Parrilla. B) Maybe 85 was too much... :rolleyes:

INTERNAL MINIMUM TEMPERATURES FOR MEAT AND POULTRY PRODUCT MINIMUM FAHRENHEIT Beef (roasts, steaks, and chops)* - Rare (some bacterial risk) 140° 60 C - Medium 160° 72 C - Well-done 170° 77 C
You asked me about médium rare not medium.

If I ordered a rare steak and someone gave me a 60 degree one, well, I'd know I was in Argentina, and I'd send it back.

I'm not sure where those temps came from (usda?), but they're very high by pretty much any standard.

Back