Steak

Typically it's about 50 for rare, 58 for medium and 64 for well-done, so for medium rare, I'd go with 54. Everything over 70 indicates that someone forgot that there was still meat on the parilla ;)
I'm pretty sure the steak you ordered was not at 85 core temperature (assuming you liked it and assuming you don't like to eat leather).

Typically it's about 50 for rare, 58 for medium and 64 for well-done, so for medium rare, I'd go with 54. Everything over 70 indicates that someone forgot that there was still meat on the parilla ;)
I'm pretty sure the steak you ordered was not at 85 core temperature (assuming you liked it and assuming you don't like to eat leather).

Exactly. The temps in my post would be the point at which id stop adding heat to a 2 inch steak if I wanted the internal temps to get up to the temps in your post.

Exactly. The temps in my post would be the point at which id stop adding heat to a 2 inch steak if I wanted the internal temps to get up to the temps in your post.

The "manual" says to take the meat out when it reaches a temp 5 F below the desired temp. The heat will continue to flow to the center, they claim.

The "manual" says to take the meat out when it reaches a temp 5 F below the desired temp. The heat will continue to flow to the center, they claim.

For a 2 inch thick one it'll be more like 7-8 F in my experience. Where did those temps come from Rich?

For a 2 inch thick one it'll be more like 7-8 F in my experience. Where did those temps come from Rich?

Well 7 instead of 5 hahahahah what accuracy!
Figures from National Cattlemen Association

http://www.almanac.com/content/how-use-meat-thermometer-internal-cooking-temperature-chart

Back