Stop Paying Killer ATM Fees

White Chocolate said:
I knew this was going to be a problem before we moved here because of the exorbitant fees we've been bitch-slapped with on vacations. Therefore, I did a lot of research and we now use USAA (https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils...dBckt_2_071909_FreeChecking_BranchlessBanking). They do not charge any ATM fees and reimburse you for any ATM fees which you incur from foreign or domestic ATM machines (up to I believe U$S 35/month). Some of their services are limited to active or ex-military but most, like checking, are not. Hope this helps!!!

One of the best things about Charles Schab is their customer service. The phone reps are second to none and there re no restrictions like being ex-military.

If you are from the US, a Schwab checking account with a Visa debit card is a no brainer.

Anyone else a brit here and found a way around the ATM fees? Am getting charged a 2% fee of the withdrawal value from my UK HSBC account and then an additional fee (almost 12 pesos) for the privilege of using a Banelco ATM here!

I have asked my bank about upgrading my account to Advance or Premier but they both charge me a monthly fee of £12.99 for the account and can only drop their fee, so don't think it's worth it.

I asked a customer service representative from my bank if I could get a fee waiver and he said he hasn't heard of such a thing and has worked at a few banks. :confused:

Any advice or anyone know of any ATM's that don't charge a fee?

jonnytownmouse said:
Any advice or anyone know of any ATM's that don't charge a fee?

The ATM's don't charge fees, banks do.

Charles Schwab does not charge ATM fees for withdrawals and refunds the charges imposed by Argentine banks.

HBSC might work (as others have posted in this thread) if (as a Brit) you can't open Schwab account.

I just got off the phone w/ BofA in California and I got the "sorry we are unable to waive the fees for you" routine....

BKK to BA said:
I just got off the phone w/ BofA in California and I got the "sorry we are unable to waive the fees for you" routine....

If you are from the US why don't you just go on line and open an account with Charles Schwab?

You can set up "moneylink" and transfer funds (on line) from your BofA account into your Schwab account with no charges whatsoever.

And then make ATM withdrawals here without charges, either.

steveinbsas said:
The ATM's don't charge fees, banks do.

Ummmm...how do
BANELCO and LINK, the monoplies, get their money, and why do they insist on the limitations and multiple withdrawls? They get their share of the fees, very large on as well as the fees from the home banks.

mendozanow said:
Ummmm...how do
BANELCO and LINK, the monoplies, get their money, and why do they insist on the limitations and multiple withdrawls? They get their share of the fees, very large on as well as the fees from the home banks.

An ATM is just a machine.

(It's not a bank.)

The banks charge the fees.

So, BANELCO and LINK just run a charity for all the banks then?

Ok, , did not know life was so simple, thanks.

Seriously, I suspect that Charles Schwab just sucks up the foreign ATM charges and fees as part of their customer services, and makes their profit through other means.

Great for you guys.

steveinbsas said:
If you are from the US why don't you just go on line and open an account with Charles Schwab?

You can set up "moneylink" and transfer funds (on line) from your BofA account into your Schwab account with no charges whatsoever.

And then make ATM withdrawals here without charges, either.

Thanks for that...im gonna owe you alot of beer before its all said and done

mendozanow said:
So, BANELCO and LINK just run a charity for all the banks then?

Ok, , did not know life was so simple, thanks.

Seriously, I suspect that Charles Schwab just sucks up the foreign ATM charges and fees as part of their customer services, and makes their profit through other means.

Great for you guys.

Yes, it is.

Sorry you have to pay.

Or live so close to the edge that ATM fees have a serious impact on your standard of living.

Back