Street sweepers earn $10,000 a month???

bebero said:
nestor kirchner was always treated at public hospitals.

I believe that was all campaign talk. He was hospitalized a few times at Sanatorio de Los Arcos, a private clinic.

As far as Argentine hospitals, I've only had two experiences in public hospitals, and I thought they were quite efficient. Earlier this year I went to Hospital de Clinicas because I had some funky infection in my throat. At 11:00 p.m. I walked into the hospital, the doctor said, "Yep, that's definitely strep throat," and I was out the door with my prescription for antibiotics. The whole process of the hospital and the pharmacy took me no more than an hour, and I was back at home. I can't say the process in the U.S. would have been as easy. I would have been in Urgent Care forever, and I would have had to pay $100 to boot.... with insurance.

bradlyhale said:
I believe that was all campaign talk. He was hospitalized a few times at Sanatorio de Los Arcos, a private clinic.

As far as Argentine hospitals, I've only had two experiences in public hospitals, and I thought they were quite efficient. Earlier this year I went to Hospital de Clinicas because I had some funky infection in my throat. At 11:00 p.m. I walked into the hospital, the doctor said, "Yep, that's definitely strep throat," and I was out the door with my prescription for antibiotics. The whole process of the hospital and the pharmacy took me no more than an hour, and I was back at home. I can't say the process in the U.S. would have been as easy. I would have been in Urgent Care forever, and I would have had to pay $100 to boot.... with insurance.
Well you are partly right. If you walked into urgent care in the US you would first wait about 4 hrs. Next you would not see a doctor. You would see a nurse practitioner [and they don't know shit about medicine] next she/he will run 3 or 4 tests at 100$ each and maybe you walk out with a prescription for some kind of antibiotic. [but it won't be the right one or the right dose] because NPs do not know shit about pharmacology either.
Health care in the US is currently a disaster and it will not be fixed as long as the drug companies and the insurance companies are sleeping with the AMA and congress [and Wall St.]. Bank on it.

Hospital Fernandez saved my friend's life who has AIDS. Now that he can afford obra social he prefers to go to a public hopspital so as not to have to wait in so many lines. I'm not saying that private hospitals are better than public ones, or vice versa, but while many of the doctors that work at privates also work in public ones, the equipment in the public hospitals is outdated....not the doctors.

Another note. My friend's father used to be chief of Hospital Moron some years ago and though he made a decent living he was by no means wealthy. His best friend chose to leave Argentina and continue his medical practice in the States and made a ton of money. The doctors honestly work here for little money out of passion and love of medicine. They even give you their private phone numbers and email addresses in case of emergency.

^^^^^
Very true....

Public hospitals after decades of neglect are completely run down and only recently start recovering in their infrastructure and equipment but the staff, nurses, doctors and technicians as always are the best 'thing' they still have.

Money, and a lots of it, is needed to be invested in infrastructure but no government or political party did anything to rectify this situation until now, hoping that in the immediate future the infrastructure will improve substantially.

In the event of a critical, traumatic injury, it can be better to go to a public hospital for initial treatment. They see more of those types of injuries and their medical staff tends to be more experienced. I give them full credit for their dedication and ability. That being said, there is NO way in hell I would want to be in a public hospital for after care or recovery.

I had a friend who has severe trauma and was brought to Fernandez. She lived thanks to the dedicated and brilliant doctors who performed multiple surgeries. Howver, I visited her in intensive care after her multiple surgeries - their IC was a nightmare. A bunch of beds in a hall, basically cordoned off with curtains, not particularly sanitary and not a place you would want to recover.

I have OSDE at the recommendations of doctors that I know - who have worked in both public and private hospitals. All strongly recommended having private insurance.

bradlyhale said:

Not quite so....as a rule of the thumb never ever believe at 'prima facie' what is or was written in 'Clarin', 'Perfil' o 'La Nacion' for that matter without disputing it first.

Nestor Kirchner choice was the Buenos Aires public Argerich Hospital in the neighborhood of La Boca for him and his family. But his first aid team decided not to go by advice of former director Dr. Donato Spaccavento.

The former director of Argerich Hospital, Dr. Donato Spaccavento, revealed today that former President Nestor Kirchner wanted to be treated at the health center of its cardiovascular complications, but he discouraged him of the idea because "no patient" with his condition will able to be attended there, the reason was the lack of supplies and essential medication to treat him.

The manager of special services of the Ministry of Health reported that, as he said "a colleague" of Argerich, "in the field of liver transplants that there were three liver lost recently" because "the lack of payment to the professionals" and the "insufficient supplies" the hospital situation is such a mess that was blamed the to the head of Government of Buenos Aires, Mauricio Macri.

Spaccavento said yesterday "it was confirmed that there was an obstruction of the carotid artery (of Kirchner's right side) he was asked in an Olivos medical center at that moment of the emergency if the former president could go to the Argerich, because he wanted to be treated in the public hospital over there."

"While I am not going daily to Argerich to see in what situation it is, I know from colleagues that supplies and the availability of specific medication was a huge problem, which also is a problem in all the city hospitals as we all know. I told him not to go, not only for himself but for any patient under these conditions he wouldn't be receiving the best of the attentions for lack of elements" he said.

"Therefore, the team of the Presidential Medical Unit decided to go to 'Los Arcos Clinic'" in Palermo, where Kirchner was operated successfully.

Spaccavento considered "curious" why "does not is continuing to be investigated the collateral damage is receiving the people who are treated in the city public hospitals by the gradual deterioration and permanent degradation in these hospitals that is continuing daily since Mauricio Macri took power as the city mayor".

Source

bebero said:
to all of you private hospitals supporters, i really hope you never have anything really serious in argentina.

and the salary of doctors is not set in stone. it depends entirely on what they do, where they work and how good/experienced they are.

You are wrong....very opinionated, but wrong.

ghost said:
Well you are partly right. If you walked into urgent care in the US you would first wait about 4 hrs. Next you would not see a doctor. You would see a nurse practitioner [and they don't know shit about medicine] next she/he will run 3 or 4 tests at 100$ each and maybe you walk out with a prescription for some kind of antibiotic. [but it won't be the right one or the right dose] because NPs do not know shit about pharmacology either.
Health care in the US is currently a disaster and it will not be fixed as long as the drug companies and the insurance companies are sleeping with the AMA and congress [and Wall St.]. Bank on it.

Ah....a lefty never misses his chance to throw in a gut punch with his lefty agenda.

Of course what you described happens all the time in the US. You're never seen by a doctor, you're always seeing a nurse practitioner, you're always misprescribed at exobitant prices, and this is all because insurance companies and drug companies are in bed with congress (and of course wall street, which isn't even a company, entity, or person). sheezus Seems like everyone is out to get you.

When I've gone to see a doctor in the US, I've always seen a doctor, given a prescription, paid my prescription copay of $15/$20, diagnosed correctly because they have the best technological advancements in the world, and this is all due to the fact that the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are working harder towards solutions because they work within a free market driven by profit. Seems right on to me (no pun intended).

Everyone's situation is different and I'm sure people have stories from both sides.

Ah....a lefty never misses his chance to throw in a gut punch with his lefty agenda.

Of course what you described happens all the time in the US. You're never seen by a doctor, you're always seeing a nurse practitioner, you're always misprescribed at exobitant prices, and this is all because insurance companies and drug companies are in bed with congress (and of course wall street, which isn't even a company, entity, or person). sheezus Seems like everyone is out to get you.

When I've gone to see a doctor in the US, I've always seen a doctor, given a prescription, paid my prescription copay of $15/$20, diagnosed correctly because they have the best technological advancements in the world, and this is all due to the fact that the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are working harder towards solutions because they work within a free market driven by profit. Seems right on to me (no pun intended).

Everyone's situation is different and I'm sure people have stories from both sides.

So "Breaking Bad" (the best American TV series since "The Wire") is based in a lie?
And what about those people losing their homes to medical bills?
And all those movies of doctors in private clinics being the Good Samaritan and doing a little bit of work with "poor people"?

Yes, you saved somebody with rabies from certain death (amazing, truly amazing), but give me the French system any day.

Healthcare in the United States is an utter disaster. Anyone who says to the contrary is oblivious. We may have a lot of great technological advancements/equipment, but they're only available to those who can pay for them.

My father was in an awful car accident a few years ago that wasn't his fault. They stabilized him and drugged him up so much that he wasn't responsive to their questions, so they waited for us (family) to arrive. The first thing they ask me when I get there is, "Does he have insurance?" I had just walked in the door, and I see my father laying on the stretcher swelling like a dead animal.... and the priority is insurance? I'm thinking, "Why don't you tell me what's going on? Is he going to be OK? What's next here?" By law (I think), the hospitals have to treat people, but it seems incredibly callous to ask, "Where's the money?" after someone has just been mangled by a truck. But this is how the system works. It's profit first, humanity second, if at all. More sick and dying people equate to a higher GDP, after all. :rolleyes:

Back