Student Visa Expires Before Course Ends?

geash

Registered
I applied for and received the short term (6 month) student visa back in April, received my precaria that expired in May. I assumed that immigration would either reject me, or give me a visa valid until the end of my course (August 5) that's clearly stated on the letter of proof of enrollment that the university I'm studying at gave me, but no. They gave me a visa that expired two weeks ago, so now I'm illegally in the country.

Has this happened to anyone before? I don't understand why they would give me residency that doesn't last even close to as long as I clearly showed them it needed to. My precaria even said that I had applied for a visa for a 6 month long course, so what gives?

Also, what should I do to become legal again? I know that people overstaying tourist visas have to pay a fine when they leave Argentina. Is it the same for overstaying residencia transitoria? Is there any way to not pay a fine at least, because I feel like immigrations made a mistake when they were processing me or something.

There are illegals here, this is a civilized country (only about this).
They give precarias according to the law, you had to show up at the DNM abd renew it before it expires. Do it asap before they enact a deportation order (90 days more or less).
This is not the same, you are in the radar, fix it.

They give precarias according to the law, you had to show up at the DNM abd renew it before it expires. Do it asap before they enact a deportation order (90 days more or less).

If geash's visa expired around the 25th of June and the course ends an Aug 5th, wouldn't the need to "fix it" depend on when he/she is leaving the country?

If migraciones won't correct their "mistake" or the law won't allow them to correct it without charging a renewal fee of $600 pesos plus a penalty of $300 (50% for renewing after the visa expired) and geash is leaving Argentina well within the 90 days it would take for migraciones to issue a deportation order, why not just wait and pay the $600 overstay fee when leaving?

LOL - I doubt the OP is going to get a deportation notice. That presumes that Migraciones would know, track him/her down for what, a few weeks over. in the realm of probability - I'm going to have that one a snowball's chance in hell.

Geash - not quite following. Your applied for a visa in April but only get a precaria until May (1 month). Then you said you received the visa but it expired in June. So they only gave you a 60 day visa? That's less time than a tourist (no visa required). Did you actually receive a visa?

Everything has changed. Deportation orders are being enacted very efficiently since Macri become President.
I suggest you fix it now.
It is his mistake, not DNM.

Everything has changed. Deportation orders are being enacted very efficiently since Macri become President.

Geash indicated he/she was grated residencia transitoria as a student. Doesn't a tourist visa also grant residencia transitoria?

If migraciones is enacting deportation orders for students who overstay thier visa, how likely are they to start doing the same for tourists?

It's been almost six years since frenchie started this thread: http://baexpats.org/topic/10028-changes-for-permatourists/

Geash indicated he/she was grated residencia transitoria as a student. Doesn't a tourist visa also grant residencia transitoria?

If migraciones is enacting deportation orders for students who overstay thier visa, how likely are they to start doing the same for tourists?

I'd be pretty curious to see actual numbers of deportations and under what circumstances. Because you know.sometimes there is some hyperbole...cough.

I would not be surprised by the words of Dr Rubiliar.

You guys love to think that everyone in this country are a 'bunch of jokers' and not doing their job. When governments change hands, things and policies change. Just as we have seen customs getting more efficient in recent times.

Finally got this sorted out. I spoke to the person who gave me the visa, and he changed it to the correct date, so I'm not illegal anymore. I didn't have to pay a fine for renewing it since it was an honest mistake on his end.

Yes, I'll be leaving the country before any 90-day deportation order. I hope that there isn't one already served and just waiting for 90 days to pass, because I'd hate to not be able to return to Argentina in the future. We'll see what happens in Ezeiza. I will update later to inform anyone else who may find themselves in this situation.
There are illegals here, this is a civilized country (only about this).
This is not the same, you are in the radar, fix it.
I wish I had done this back then. Before the precaria expired, I had received the official visa document, so I didn't bother renewing the precaria (I'm sure it would have been rejected anyway since the official visa was ready). I could not read it well enough to see that the expiration date was too soon. I just happened to be showing it to someone, and they told me that the date was before the end of my course, but by that point I was already in trouble.

You're right that I'm on the government's radar since I applied for residency. That's why I was wondering if I would be able to get off with just a fine like people who overstay tourist visas do, or if I'd suffer a more serious/swift punishment.

According to this http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pdf_varios/campana_grafica/pdf/Libro_Ley_25.871.pdf from 2010, tourists are considered transitory migrants, but there are other subcategories of the residency too.

Geash - not quite following. Your applied for a visa in April but only get a precaria until May (1 month). Then you said you received the visa but it expired in June. So they only gave you a 60 day visa? That's less time than a tourist (no visa required). Did you actually receive a visa?
Correct, they didn't give me a visa that made any sense. It didn't even last as long as a tourist visa. But from what I understand, my tourist visa was voided due to being moved to residencia transitoria, so I became illegal when the latter expired. Yes, I received an actual non-tourist visa.

Back